Familial aggregation of irritable bowel syndrome: a prospective study
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Controlling Your Symptoms. // American Family Physician;12/15/2010, Vol. 82 Issue 12, Special section p1
The article provides information on irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Also known as functional bowel syndrome or irritable colon, IBS refers to an intestinal disorder which commonly starts around age 20 and is more frequent among women. Among the symptoms of IBS include bloating and gas, mucus in...
- Irritable bowel syndrome. // British Journal of Community Nursing;Nov2006, Vol. 11 Issue 11, p498
The article reports on the launch of a new poster in Great Britain on October 2006 that is designed to assist nurses in explaining the complex symptoms associated with irritable bowel syndrome. Copies of the poster can be requested online and is supported by The IBS Network and has been produced...
- The Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Horwitz, Brenda J.; Fisher, Robert S. // New England Journal of Medicine;06/14/2001, Vol. 344 Issue 24, p1846
Presents information on irritable bowel syndrome. Epidemiologic features, including altered bowel motility; Diagnosis; Treatment; Value of establishment of trust in doctor-patient relationship.
- Models of disease under constant review. // New Zealand Doctor;12/15/2004, p22
Presents information on symptoms of functional bowel diseases. Important factors in the models of functional bowel diseases; Factor that resembles the response of normal individuals to stress; Experimental observations to irritable bowel movement.
- Positive diagnosis of IBS can be made. // New Zealand Doctor;12/15/2004, p24
Presents information on a diagnosis of irritable bowel movement. Final change in nomenclature of the term irritable bowel syndrome (IBS); Reason for the wide influence of the Manning criteria, which was derived from a research paper by Manning and his colleagues on IBS; Factors that determine...
- Audit of Constipation in a Gastroenterology Referral Center. Guido Iantorno; Monica Cinquetti; Alessandro Mazzocchi; Antonio Morelli; Gabrio Bassotti // Digestive Diseases & Sciences;Feb2007, Vol. 52 Issue 2, p317
Abstract??This study was designed to assess the various subtypes of functional constipation in a referral gastrointestinal center of a Latino-American country. All patients referred for evaluation of constipation during a 10-year period were audited, and those with functional constipation...
- Gender-Related Differences in Slowing Colonic Transit By a 5-HT3 Antagonist in Subjects With Diarrhea-Predominant Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Viramontes, Blanca E.; Camilleri, Michael; McKinzie, Sanna; Pardi, Darrell S.; Burton, Duane; Thomforde, George M. // American Journal of Gastroenterology;Sep2001, Vol. 96 Issue 9, p2671
OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the influence of gender on the effect of a 5-HT3 antagonist, alosetron, 1 mg b.i.d., on GI and colonic transit in D-IBS. METHODS: Thirty patients (15 male. 15 female) with D-IBS received 1 mg b.i.d. alosetron for 6 wk. Transit was measured by scintigraphy...
- BENULOSE--A NEW ADJUNCT IN THE TREATMENT OF FUNCTIONAL BOWEL DISTRESS. Cane, Walter // American Journal of Gastroenterology;Nov1959, Vol. 32 Issue 5, p649
Presents an abstract of the study "Benulose--A New Adjunct in the Treatment of Functional Bowel Distress," by Charles W. Hock.
- Rectal irrigation for relief of functional bowel disorders. Gardiner, Angela; Marshall, Jill; Duthie, Graeme // Nursing Standard;11/10/2004, Vol. 19 Issue 9, p39
This article examines the use of rectal irrigation for the symptomatic relief of functional bowel disorders in certain groups of patients. The authors undertook a study of 80 patients and conclude that it is a valuable treatment for some patients.