New formulation of clozapine approved
- Selective dopamine D[sub 4] receptor antagonists reverse apomorphine-induced blockade of prepulse inhibition. Mansbach, R. S.; Brooks, Elizabeth W.; Sanner, Mark A.; Zorn, Stevin H. // Psychopharmacology;1998, Vol. 135 Issue 2, p194
Abstract Recent evidence suggests that the dopamine D[sub 4] receptor may play a role in schizophrenia, and that the atypical properties of the antipsychotic clozapine may be attributable in part to its antagonistic actions at this receptor. In the present study, clozapine and three other...
- Commentary on "Clinical studies on the mechanism of action of clozapine; the dopamineï¿½serotonin hypothesis of schizophrenia." Psychopharmacology (1989) 99:S18ï¿½S27. Meltzer, Herbert Y. // Psychopharmacology;2002, Vol. 163 Issue 1, p1
Comments on a study which examined the mechanism of clozapine. Account of related studies; Overview of the serotonin-dopamine hypothesis; Interpretation of the research findings.
- Pharmacotherapy. // Canadian Journal of Psychiatry;Nov2005 Supplement, Vol. 50, p19S
The article discusses pharmacotherapy for patients with schizophrenia. It suggests that clozapine, olanzapine, quetiapine, and risperidone are referred to as second-generation antipsychotics (SGAs) or atypical antipsychotics; and all other antipsychotic medications are referred to as...
- Effectiveness of clozapine in neuroleptic-resistant schizophrenia: clinical response and plasma concentrations. Llorca, Pierre-Michel; Lancon, Christophe; Disdier, Beatrice; Farisse, Jean; Sapin, Christophe; Auquier, Pascal // Journal of Psychiatry & Neuroscience;Jan2002, Vol. 27 Issue 1, p30
Evaluates the effectiveness of clozapine in neuroleptic-resistance schizophrenia, in terms of its clinical response and plasma concentrations. Mean endpoint clozapine dosage; Significant correlation found between the daily dosage of clozapine and the plasma levels of clozapine and of its...
- Clozapine withdrawal. // Reactions Weekly;7/30/2011, Issue 1362, p12
The article describes the case of a 29-year-old man with schizophrenia who developed catatonia following abrupt stoppage of clozapine.
- Pharmacological Profile of Antipsychotics at Monoamine Receptors: Atypicality Beyond 5-HT2A Receptor Blockade. Wood, Martyn D.; Scott, Claire; Clarke, Kirsten; Cato, Katherine J.; Patel, Nisha; Heath, Jennie; Worby, Angela; Gordon, Laurie; Campbell, Lorraine; Riley, Graham; Davies, Ceri H.; Gribble, Andrew; Jones, Declan N. C. // CNS & Neurological Disorders - Drug Targets;2006, Vol. 5 Issue 4, p445
Antipsychotic drugs (APD) are widely prescribed for the treatment of schizophrenia. The APD are differentiated into typical and atypical based on the lower incidence of extra-pyramidal side-effects associated with the newer atypical APD. It was suggested that atypicality may arise from an...
- Sertindole therapy is effective in patients with schizophrenia. Daniel, David // American Family Physician;2/15/96, Vol. 53 Issue 3, p939
Presents conference highlights on the effectiveness of sertindole therapy in treating schizophrenia. Report presented at the annual meeting of the American College of Neuropsychopharmacology; Pharmacologic testing; Side-effects of sertindole.
- Clozapine Alone versus Clozapine and Risperidone with Refractory Schizophrenia. Honer, William G.; Thornton, Allen E.; Chen, Eric Y.H.; Chan, Raymond C.K.; Wong, Jessica O.Y.; Bergmann, Andrea; Falkai, Peter; Pomarol-Clotet, Edith; McKenna, Peter J.; Stip, Emmanuel; Williams, Richard; MacEwan, G. William; Wasan, Kishor; Procyshyn, Ric // New England Journal of Medicine;2/2/2006, Vol. 354 Issue 5, p472
Background: The treatment of schizophrenia with multiple antipsychotic drugs is common, but the benefits and risks are not known. Methods: In a randomized, double-blind study, we evaluated patients with schizophrenia and a poor response to treatment with clozapine. The patients continued to take...
- The Choice of Drugs for Schizophrenia. Davis, John M. // New England Journal of Medicine;2/2/2006, Vol. 354 Issue 5, p518
The editorial discusses schizophrenia and the drugs available for treatment. Data is provided that shows the efficacy, extrapyramidal symptoms, weight gain, prolactin increase, dosage, and cost of first- and second-generation antipsychotic medications. Research indicates that clozapine that is...