Not Your Father's Turnout
- Thermal performance and limitations of bunking gear. Lawson, J. Randall // Fire Engineering;Aug98, Vol. 151 Issue 8, p37
Studies the thermal performance and limitations of firefighters' protective clothing. Differences in responding to the three modes of heat transfer which include radiation and convection; Definition of thermal burns; Characteristics of firefighters' protective clothing and equipment...
- Total Heat Loss. Bove, Ron // Fire Engineering;Aug2002, Vol. 155 Issue 8, p130
Focuses on the test method Total Heat Loss (THL) for turnout gear. Definition of THL; Generation of excess body heat in wearing turnout gear; Measurement of heat stress.
- Technology Today: FIRE PROTECTIVE CLOTHING: AS COMPLEX AS ANY OTHER PPE. Di Giovanni, Anthony // Fire Engineering;Sep2006, Vol. 159 Issue 9, p126
The article focuses on the manufacturing of fire protective clothing for firefighter's wear in the U.S. Several standards that regulates the making of protective garments include the National Fire Protection Association 1971 and the European Committee for Standardization's EN 469. Usually, the...
- Pittsburgh to Examine PPE, Use in Firefighter Injuries. // Fire Chief Exclusive Insight;5/10/2011, p1
The article reports that fire officials in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania is investigating whether personal protective equipment (PPE) use by firefighters was the cause of the first-and-second-degree burns they suffered when fell from stairs.
- Training to be a Firefighter. Labov, Steven L. // Firefighters;2003, p23
Discusses the training of firefighters. Importance of saving lives; Discussion of medical problems involved in saving lives through the use of radio of telephone; Familiarity with safety procedures and use of protective clothing.
- Firing up protective clothing selection. LaBar, Gregg // Occupational Hazards;May97, Vol. 59 Issue 5, p73
Interviews Captain Andy Pompe of the Philadelphia Fire Department in Pennsylvania on fire and flame protective clothing selection. Proper selection of manufacturers who provide quality protective clothing; Improvements of fire fighting gear; Training on the proper use of fire and flame...
- Simple Solutions to Responses in Flooded Basements. JETTER, DAVE // Fire Engineering;Mar2014, Vol. 167 Issue 3, p167
The article tips for firefighters responding to basement flooding. Topics discussed include the common causes for basement flooding, a method for responding to a flooded basement that uses gravity for drainage, and the personal protective equipment needed when investigating a basement. Also...
- To protect and defend. // Fire Chief;Apr2003, Vol. 47 Issue 4, p70
Features several protective clothing to protect firefighters from flames and hazardous materials. Firefighting gloves; Boots; Technical rescue garments; Firefighting hoods.
- New suits chill CBRN responders. Page, Douglas // Fire Chief;May2003, Vol. 47 Issue 5, p14
Reports on the development of cooling garments for fire fighters, police officers and medical personnel in the U.S. Features of the protective clothing; Use of the adsorptive carbon-based cooling system; Design of the garment.