- DEVELOPING OFFICERS. Buckman, John M. // Fire Engineering;Jul2001, Vol. 154 Issue 7, p10
Discusses methods by which a fire chief can develop subordinates so that they become proficient and productive. Announcing promotions publicly and officially; Delegation of authority; Importance of supporting officers; Giving subordinates day-to-day feedback on how well they are meeting...
- MANAGING FOR INTRINSIC REWARDS. Buckman III, John M. // Fire Engineering;Jul2002, Vol. 155 Issue 7, p67
Focuses on the personnel management of fire fighters. Importance of intrinsic awards for motivation; Shift in management style; Solution for motivation.
- Values fan the flames of firefighters' engagement. Brockett, James // People Management;4/8/2010, p10
The article offers information on the values framework and implementation plan at the Strathclyde Fire and Rescue Service which aims to help employees become more engaged.
- CALCULATED RISK. Colletti, Dominic; Davis, Larry // Fire Chief;Apr2004, Vol. 48 Issue 4, p48
Discusses the use of appropriate acquired structures to provide skills training of both new and veteran firefighters in safely dealing with fireground conditions in the U.S. Concern on continued injuries and fatalities among firefighters due to inability to recognize building collapse; Four...
- Overhauling your organizational goals. Shouldis, William // Fire Engineering;Aug96, Vol. 149 Issue 8, p22
Presents an officer development program that aims to improve the educational methodology in human resource management of fire services. Fundamental philosophy behind the program; Fire cause investigation; Fire prevention; Public's demand for improved performance and controlled costs; Training...
- FROM THE DIRECTOR. Connor, Hugh // UFRA Straight Tip;Oct2013, Vol. 14 Issue 4, p2
An introduction is presented in which the editor discusses various reports within the issue on topics including staffing in certain areas of Utah Fire and Rescue Academy (UFRA), the challenge of changing test standards at the institution, and the lease of the land where UFRA is located.
- Software cuts fire brigade report times by three months. // Computer Weekly;6/3/2003, p5
Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service has cut the time taken to produce its end-of-year reports by two to three months after implementing integrated human resource software. The fire service achieved the savings through the use of the reporting functionality in Infographics' Firewatch...
- LAND OF 10,000 FACES. Forte, Roco S. // Fire Chief;May2003, Vol. 47 Issue 5, p32
Discusses the fire fighter recruiting and retaining practices of the fire department in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Testing system of the department; Inclusion of women and minorities in the work force; Promotional opportunities offered by the department; Proactive approach of the department in...
- Party's OVER. Terwilliger, Michael S. // Fire Chief;May2003, Vol. 47 Issue 5, p36
Discusses the fire fighter retention strategy adopted by the fire department in Truckee, California. Organization structure of the department; Advantages and disadvantages of a camaraderie-based retention system; Implementation of a system that placed the emphasis on quality; Recruitment and...