Training Accounts for 10% of Fatalities
- NFA announces new procedures for contract instructors. // Fire Engineering;Aug2007, Vol. 160 Issue 8, p58
This article discusses how the United States Fire Administration (USFA) will release on its Web site a procedure for recruiting and certifying contract instructors. Potential instructors who meet the qualifications to teach a class can now become eligible contract instructors without attending...
- Firefighter Training Deaths on the Rise. // Fire Chief;Jul2006, Vol. 50 Issue 7, p14
The article reports on the increasing incidence of firefighter training deaths in the United States, while the overall rate of firefighter deaths has declined. The paper "U.S. Firefighter Deaths Related to Training, 1996-2005," claimed that 100 firefighters died while engaged in training-related...
- Jon A. Hansen declines nomination for USFA administrator. // Fire Engineering;Aug2001, Vol. 154 Issue 8, p40
Reports the withdrawal of former Oklahoma City assistant chief Jon A. Hansen from his nomination as United States Fire Administration administrator in the United States.
- Gaines acting USFA administrator. // Fire Engineering;May2009, Vol. 162 Issue 5, p42
The article announces the appointment of Glenn Gaines as deputy assistant administrator and acting fire administrator for the U.S. Fire Administration.
- Beyond the Numbers. Mangan, Dick // Fire Chief;Jul/Aug2010 Wildfire, p20
The article discusses the results of a study concerning the death of wildland firefighters in line with their duties from 2007-2009 in the U.S. The study analyzes several factors on the causes of the said death including aviation, vehicle or driving accidents, geography, and heart attacks. It...
- The U.S. Fire Administration Releases Latest Firefighter Fatality Report. // Occupational Hazards;Sep2008, Vol. 70 Issue 9, p19
The article reports on the release of the U.S. Fire Administration's (USFA) paper "Firefighter Fatalities in the United States in 2007," indicating the causes for the 118 on-duty firefighter fatalities in 2007. It is part of a series of annual studies by the USFA of on-duty firefighter...
- An enemy among us. METCALF, WILLIAM R. // Fire Chief;Oct2013, Vol. 57 Issue 10, p16
The article offers the author's insights on cancer diagnosis and death rate among firefighters from many types of cancer. He says that cancer has emerged as the number cause of death of firefighters which is a problem that must be given more attention. He mentions the organizations such as the...
- U.S. firefighter fatalities up in 1994. // Fire Engineering;Jul95, Vol. 148 Issue 7, p22
Reports that firefighter deaths in the United States rose to 30% in 1994 according to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA). Percentage of deaths occurring on the fireground; Entrapment deaths; Age range of the casualties.
- Firefighter School. // Scholastic News -- Edition 1;Oct2003, Vol. 60 Issue 2, p1
Presents information on the training of firefighter students, which includes the practice of putting on turnout gear and using the rope to get down from a building.