Low-Coupons at Risk As Interest Rates Rise. Tax Costs Loom
- Munis Finish Session Lower as FOMC Minutes Confirm Pending Rate Hikes. Johnson, Anastasija; Curran, Bill // Bond Buyer;10/12/2005, Vol. 354 Issue 32236, p2
Reports on the condition of the municipal bond market in the U.S. Confirmation that more interest rate hikes are forthcoming due to inflation concerns; Increase in tax-exempt yields; Effect of Treasury market losses on the bond market.
- Analyst: Interest Rate Rise Likely To Lead Taxable Funds to Munis. Fine, Jacob // Bond Buyer;1/30/2004, Vol. 347 Issue 31811, p1
Reports on the prediction of an increase in interest rates to lead taxable funds to municipal bonds. Anticipation from taxable fund managers to a municipal asset class to cushion the impact of ascending yields on the price performance of their funds; Strong track record of tax-exempt bonds that...
- IRS Seeking Issuer Feedback on Arbitrage Burdens. Schroeder, Peter // Bond Buyer;3/23/2009, Vol. 367 Issue 33084, p4
The article reports that the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is asking for information from tax-exempt bond issuers on how much of a burden existing arbitrage regulations cost them. It defines "arbitrage" as earnings on bond proceeds which materially exceed the yield on the bonds. Moreover,...
- N.Y.C. to Start Selling $800 Million Of GOs With Taxable Piece to Follow. Phillips, Ted // Bond Buyer;7/21/2008, Vol. 365 Issue 32922, p3
The article reports on the plan of New York City to sell its general obligation (GO) bonds in 2008. The city is planning to start selling $800 million of new-money tax-exempt GO bonds in July and competitively market $165 million of taxable GO bonds in August. The decision to sell GO bonds is...
- ABA Recommends Several Changes to Proposed New Form 990. McConnell, Alison L. // Bond Buyer;10/10/2007, Vol. 362 Issue 32730, p4
The article reports on the recommendation of the American Bar Association (ABA) that the schedule of the tax-exempt bond in the proposed new Form 990 must be cross-referenced with information returns filed annually in the U.S. The new form, as cited, mandates nonprofit organizations to provide...
- Groups lobby vs. tax-law changes. Resnick, Amy B. // Bond Buyer;03/10/99, Vol. 327 Issue 30595, p36
Reports on municipal market participants' strengthening of their lobbying efforts against the Bill Clinton administration's tax proposals they fear would reduce demand for municipal bonds. House Ways and Means Committee's hearing on the revenue-raising provisions in the president's fiscal 2000...
- Calendar Stays Light as Muni Market Continues to Rally. McDonald, Michael // Bond Buyer;7/8/2002, Vol. 341 Issue 31422, p34
Reports the projections on municipal bonds for the year 2002 in the U.S. Selection of tax-exempt investments by investors; Amount of issuance for the whole year; Likelihood for the Federal Reserve to increase benchmark interest rates.
- Structural Instability in the Net Discount Rate Series Based on High Grade Municipal Bond Yields. Sen, Amit; Gelles, Gregory M.; Johnson, Walter D. // Journal of Legal Economics;Fall2002, Vol. 12 Issue 2, p87
Discusses the structural ability in the net discount rate series based on high grade municipal bond yields. Use of net discount rate to calculate the present value of future earnings's losses; Average difference between the nominal interest rate and the nominal rate of wage growth; Calculation...
- MARKET STATISTICS. // Bond Buyer;8/24/2001, Vol. 337 Issue 31210, p36
Presents information on government securities trading in the United States, as of August 23, 2001. Short-term tax-exempt yields; Securities prices; Bond indexes; Municipal bond prices.