School Sales-Tax Hike?
- Atlanta Voters OK Sales Tax Hike to Help Sewer System. DeSue, Tedra // Bond Buyer;7/22/2004, Vol. 349 Issue 31931, p4
Reports on the approval of Atlanta voters on a one-cent sales tax increase to help offset onerous rate increases to pay for water and sewer repairs. Effectivity of the municipal option sales tax; Purpose of the tax revenue; Prohibition of the city from using the sales tax collections to pay debt...
- WOULD TAX EVASION AND TAX AVOIDANCE UNDERMINE A NATIONAL RETAIL SALES TAX? Murray, Matthew N. // National Tax Journal;Mar97, Vol. 50 Issue 1, p167
A national retail sales tax has surfaced as a potential replacement for the current system of federal income taxation. A primary concern is that the revenue-neutral required tax rate may easily exceed 30 percent, leading to tax base erosion through widespread avoidance and evasion. This paper...
- PM Sales-Tax Data. // Public Management (00333611);May2004, Vol. 86 Issue 4, p4
Presents facts about sales tax in the U.S. Number of state, county and city jurisdictions that charge a sales tax; Identification of the states that increased their sales tax; Specification of states with no state-level sales tax.
- States Team Up To Collect Sales Taxes On Remote Purchases. Diana, Tom // Business Credit;Nov/Dec2005, Vol. 107 Issue 10, p12
The article focuses on the collection of sales taxes on remote purchases. Vendors and retailers selling items through the channels like catalogs and Internet is called remote purchasing. A group of states has proposed a voluntary program formed by the Streamlined Sales Tax Project (SSTP) to...
- Here's how you'll be able to deduct sales tax. Parish, Linn // Journal of Business (10756124);11/10/2004, Vol. 19 Issue 23, pB3
Reports on the sales tax deduction provision of the American Jobs Creation Act of 2004. Ways on how individual tax payers can deduct amounts spent on sales tax from their taxable income when filing their federal income tax; Publication of a schedule of allowable deduction amounts based on a...
- Sales Tax Windfall. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;9/21/2004, Vol. 349 Issue 31973, p27
Reports on the increase in sales tax collection in August 2004 in Texas.
- Beating the Estimate. DeSue, Tedra // Bond Buyer;4/15/2004, Vol. 348 Issue 31863, p29
Reports total revenue collections in Tennessee as of March 2004. Growth in revenue; Increase in sales tax collections.
- Atlanta Weighs Sales-Tax Hike on July Ballot for Water and Sewer Improvements. DeSue, Tedra // Bond Buyer;4/29/2004, Vol. 348 Issue 31873, p3
Reports on the balloting for the proposed one-cent sales tax in Atlanta, Georgia. Uses of the proposed sales tax; Governor Sonny Perdue's signing into law legislation allowing Atlanta and the city of Columbus to put their requests for the increase before voters. Option of Fulton County of...
- The experts all want a sales tax. Steel, Kevin // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;10/26/98, Vol. 25 Issue 45, p9
Reports on the Tax Review Committee that is examining the merits of proposed reforms in Alberta's taxation. Alberta being the only Canadian province without a general sales tax; A survey by the Canadian Taxpayers Federation (CTF) on the acceptability of a sales tax; CTF Alberta director Mark...