Job Cuts, Consolidation Continue, As K-12, College Publishers Strive To Improve Operating Performance
- Layoffs follow Nelson's purchase of Harcourt's K-12 division. Weiler, Derek // Quill & Quire;Jun2005, Vol. 71 Issue 6, p18
The article reports that Thomson Nelson's purchase of the educational publishing division of Harcourt Canada, which produces texts for elementary and high-school students, has quickly resulted in mass layoffs at Harcourt. Harcourt U.S. spokesperson Rick Blake told Q&Q Omni that 31 layoffs are...
- Chrysalis cuts jobs at books arm. // Printing World;8/11/2005, Vol. 291 Issue 6, p13
Reports on media group Chrysalis' plans to cut jobs in an attempt to improve profitability at its books division. Launching of a consultation period; Departure from the children's and promotional book publishing sector.
- Industry Weighs Retail Shakeout of 2001. Milliot, Jim // Publishers Weekly;6/4/2001, Vol. 248 Issue 23, p9
Reports on the closure and downsizing of book retailers in the United States in 2001. Book stores that suffered business failures; Factors which contributed to business failures; Reaction of book publishers to the decline in the book industry.
- In Tough Year, K-12 Industry Pulled Off Sales Increase of 2.5%. // Educational Marketer;2/9/2004, Vol. 35 Issue 5, p2
Focuses on the revenue gain experienced by K-12 publishers in the U.S. in 2003. Total amount of net sales of basal textbook programs and supplementary materials; Factors contributing to the increase. INSET: U.S. K-12 Instructional Materials Sales, December and Year End....
- Adoption State Textbook Sales Fall In Feb.; Total YTD Sales Up 5.8%. // Educational Marketer;4/12/2004, Vol. 35 Issue 11, p4
Reports on the financial performance of K-12 publishers of textbooks in the U.S. in January and February 2003. Decline of the sales of 6-12 textbooks in the same period in adoption states; Increase of sales in non-adoption states;
- News Brief... // Educational Marketer;4/19/2004, Vol. 35 Issue 12, p8
Reports development involving companies in the book publishing industry in the U.S. as of April 2004. Addition of math titles to the classroom reading program of National Geographic Society; Introduction of the second edition of Sounds Sensible, a pre-K-1 phonological awareness and beginning...
- Market Trends in the South Indian Publishing Region. Kanda, Subash // Publishing Research Quarterly;Dec2007, Vol. 23 Issue 4, p270
This article aims to study the publishing trends in South India, including the states of Tamil Nadu, Kerala and Karnataka. It also gives an insight into the markets in South India for English and Regional language books. As many international publishers are moving towards the Indian book market,...
- News Briefs …. // Educational Marketer;11/13/2006, Vol. 37 Issue 32, p8
The article offers news briefs on publishing firms in the U.S. Horizon Textbook Publishing has released the fourth edition of the book "Understanding Algebra for College Students" in October 2006. Houghton Mifflin has released two books "The Enduring Vision: A History of the American People,"...
- Competition Heats Up in Adoption States for Slices of Math Pie, the Largest Adoption Opportunity in '04. // Educational Marketer;2/9/2004, Vol. 35 Issue 5, p1
Reports on the competition among mathematics publishers in the K-12 market in the U.S. resulting to the commitment of schools to buying math textbooks. Restriction on purchasing in math to math for technologies in South Carolina; Highlights of 2004 math adoption. INSET: Highlights of 2004 Math...