Feb. Trade Deficit Improves to $42.1B
- Examining Free Trade's Cost. Brooks, Robert // Foundry Management & Technology;Feb2005, Vol. 133 Issue 2, p4
The article presents information on the recent 2004 U.S. trade report. The total 2004 U.S. trade deficit reached $617.7 billion, a record that tops the prior record by 24.4%. Total exports of goods and services increased 12.3%, from $125.6 billion to $1.146 trillion. But, total imports of goods...
- April Trade Deficit Up 6.3% to $57B. Ferris, Craig T. // Bond Buyer;6/13/2005, Vol. 352 Issue 32152, p2
The article informs that the United States' trade deficit rose in April, increasing by 6.3%, or $3.4 billion, to $57.0 billion, according to data released by the Commerce Department on Friday. It was the largest percentage rise since the deficit increased 7.0% between last September and October....
- Time to Balance the Accounts. // USA Today Magazine;Aug90, Vol. 119 Issue 2543, p15
Focuses on the need for the U.S. trade deficit and the West German and Japanese trade surpluses to be brought back into balance to avoid an economic recession.
- International Trade and Transactions. // Economic Trends (07482922);Sep2004, p8
Provides an overview on international trade and transactions in the United States. Trade deficit in goods and services; Trade balance in goods by end use; Import and export prices and foreign exchange.
- MEASURES TO PREVENT A SLUMP. Harrod, Roy // Foreign Affairs;Jul1949, Vol. 27 Issue 4, p630
The article focuses on international economic cooperation. In the economic sphere, the world is about to enter a new phase. It is already evident in the U.S. that the period of the postwar transition with its special characteristics is drawing to a close. In Great Britain an over-all balance of...
- Import Tariffs and the Next Campaign. // New Republic;5/2/23, Vol. 34 Issue 439, p255
Focuses on the foreign trade policy of the U.S. with reference to the Republican Tariff Act. Comment that judged from the standpoint of its efficacy as a revenue producer, the tariff is an unqualified success; Information on the preliminary figures of imports and exports; Consequences of the...
- General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade. // International Organization;Feb56, Vol. 10 Issue 1, p226
This article discusses the 10th session of the 35 contracting parties to the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (GATT) which was held at Geneva, Switzerland from October 27 to December 3, 1955. It was under the chairmanship of L. Dana Wilgress of Canada. An agenda was considered of issues...
- THE WORLD TRADE ORGANIZATION AS A STRUCTURE OF LIBERTY. McGinnis, John O. // Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy;Fall2004, Vol. 28 Issue 1, p81
Characterizes the World Trade Organization (WTO ) as a structure of liberty. Overview of the structure of WTO and factional competition; Impact of the WTO dispute resolution mechanism on protectionist interest groups; Threats to the WTO.
- Think before demonizing free-trade agreements. Barkey, Patrick // Indianapolis Business Journal;3/7/2005, Vol. 25 Issue 53, p32
Comments that economists in Indiana approach the issue of free trade with religious zeal. Assessment of liberalized trade between nations; Approval of a moratorium on free trade agreements.