- Broadband in Bunches. Clifford, Lee // Fortune;10/9/2000, Vol. 142 Issue 8, p284
Offers investment advice for those interested in entering the broadband sector through mutual funds. Three technology and communications funds that offer a collection of broadband holdings: Fidelity Select Developing Communications; Firsthand Communications; Red Oak Technology Select.
- Investors dazzled by...indexes? Halverson, Guy // Christian Science Monitor;8/2/99, Vol. 91 Issue 172, p13
Reports the popularity of index funds in investment portfolios in the United States. Reasons as a result of their attempt to match the performance of market indexes; Successes of the funds, including anticipated advance of Vanguard's Index 500 Fund, surpassing Fidelity Investments' Magellan...
- Index funds vs unit trust funds. // Finance Week;1/18/2002, p19
Compares index funds and unit trust funds. Cost structures; Return rates; Viability of investing in the Satrix 40 index funds issued at the Johannesburg Stock Exchange.
- Index Funds Are Far From Dead. Sauter, Gus // National Underwriter / Life & Health Financial Services;6/26/2000, Vol. 104 Issue 26, p7
Offers a look at the success of index mutual funds. Why investors are beginning to look beyond index funds; Background on the popularity of index funds; Advantage of index funds.
- Target Magellan: Is the fund still worth holding today? Jaffe, Charles A. // New Orleans CityBusiness (1994 to 2008);11/30/98, Vol. 19 Issue 22, p17
Analyzes the performance of the Fidelity Magellan mutual fund in 1998. Factors that influence the fund's portfolio allocation; Average annualized return; Legacy of fund managers Jeff Vinik and Robert Stansky; Doubts over the fund's ability to maintain an above-average return in the face of the...
- Best new FUNDS. Lallos, Laura // Money;Sep2000, Vol. 29 Issue 9, p82
Discusses seven new mutual funds as of September 2000 that the author believes will be successful. Details of Janus Strategic Value, Legg Mason Opportunity, RS Internet Age, TIAA-CREF Equity Index, Vanguard Calvert Social Index, Vanguard Inflation-Protected, and Westcore International Frontier;...
- GATEWAY. Lallos, Laura // Money;
Focuses on Gateway index mutual fund. Why its technique is one of the safest around; The three-pronged strategy of manager Patrick Rogers; Observation that Gateway does well in downturns.
- The Comparative Performance of Load and No-Load Mutual Funds in Canada. Deaves, Richard // Canadian Journal of Administrative Sciences (Canadian Journal of;Dec2004, Vol. 21 Issue 4, p326
This paper investigates, using both single-factor and multi-factor models, the absolute performance of Canadian equity funds and the relative performance of load versus no-load funds. Consistent with a wealth of other studies, I find that the typical fund manager in Canada is unable to surpass...
- Don't Go on First Impressions. Phillips, Brandon // BRW;07/02/99, Vol. 21 Issue 25, p24
Discusses how initial performance reports for managed investments can be deceptive and the importance of investigating the individual and average annual returns to get a clear picture of a funds' performance. Performance of Colonial First State Imputation Fund compared to that of Tyndall...
- Index funds tracking made about? Walker, Chris // Money (Australia Edition);Jul2003, p86
Presents information on the performance of index funds in Australia. Discussion on index funds as low-cost alternative to managed funds; Investment styles; Reasons individuals rather than institutional investors could benefit most from indexing.