The Push for Early Academic Instruction
- An International Overview Of Preschool Programs. Kamerman, Sheila B. // Phi Delta Kappan;Oct89, Vol. 71 Issue 2, p135
Reports that almost all the European countries have acknowledged the value of preschool programs for three- to six-year-olds and these programs are increasingly universal and free. View of preschools as providers of both child care and early education; Belief that preschools are essential to...
- Spend early, spend less. Allen, Graham // Public Finance;6/1/2007, p24
The article examines the Sure Start preschool intervention program of the British government. The author discusses the benefits that children, their families and the government can gain from preschool intervention programs. The limitations of the Sure Start scheme and the steps that can be taken...
- Poor Marks for State Preschools. // State Government News;Apr2004, Vol. 47 Issue 4, p9
Focuses on the study released by the National Institute for Early Education Research entitled "The State of Preschool: 2003 State Preschool Yearbook," in 2004. Important role played by early childhood education in the success of a child; Purpose of the yearbook; Findings of the report.
- FROM THE Editor. Ohanesian, Diane C. // Early Childhood Today;May/Jun2001, Vol. 15 Issue 8, p2
Introduces a series of articles on early childhood education,.
- An investment in decency. Rose, Mike // American Teacher;Dec2004/Jan2005, Vol. 89 Issue 4, p12
Focuses on the importance of early childhood education. Benefits of investment in Early Childhood Development (ECD) for children, families and society; One of the programs featured in a study as an example of high quality ECD; Success that can be found in other states and districts related to ECD.
- In Support of Drama in Early Childhood Education, Again. Furman, Lou // Early Childhood Education Journal;Spring2000, Vol. 27 Issue 3, p173
Early childhood practitioners appear to be in an unending battle to legitimize the use of the dramatic arts in the classroom. Even early childhood educators who accept the value of dramatic play seldom utilize the potential of drama fully. The purpose of this article is to reinforce the value of...
- EDUCATING OUR YOUNGEST CITIZENS. Lewis, Anne C. // Phi Delta Kappan;Oct2003, Vol. 85 Issue 2, p99
Supports early childhood education programs in the U.S. Debate over the Head Start program; Guidelines developed by the National Association for the Education of Young Children; Report from Carnegie Corp.
- Can only literacy guarantee a Sure Start? Burkard, Tom // Nursery World (Haymarket Business Publications Ltd);7/1/2010, Vol. 110 Issue 4226, p10
The author argues that the initiative Sure Start has no lasting effect on children's achievement in Great Britain. He asserts that the initiative has drifted away from its original focus on needy children. He adds that it may be good for mothers and children in other ways or may produce...
- Current problems of preschool education. Rubtsov, V. V.; Yudina, E. G. // Psychological Science & Education;2010, Issue 3, p5
The paper deals with early childhood care and education (ECCE) issues to be discussed at the UNESCO World Conference on 27-29 September 2010. The authors recognize and analyze key trends in the development of preschool education in different countries and offer a well-substantiated approach to...