Callahan Plan Slammed
- Top Virginia Appropriator Proposes One-Year Budget to Side-Step Impasse. Vadum, Matthew // Bond Buyer;3/31/2004, Vol. 347 Issue 31853, p40
Reports that Virginia House Appropriations Committee chairman Vincent F. Callahan Jr. has introduced a legislation that will sidestep the state's budget impasse. Government financial planning; Fiscal problems of the state; Funding levels.
- Illinois Lawmakers Approve $56B Budget for Fiscal 2007. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;5/8/2006, Vol. 356 Issue 32376, p33
This article reports that an approved $56 billion budget for the Illinois state government's fiscal year 2007 clears the path for Midway Airport's privatization and increases the Chicago Transit Authority's pension funding requirements. Passage of the budget is attributed to Governor Rod...
- Management of the State-Funded Programs' Efficiency: Methodological Bases of Development of a Program-Based Budget. SHASH, Natalia N. // Upravlenec;2015, Issue 1, p4
The article analyzes particularities of state-funded programs and looks at approaches to the assessment of their efficiency. Structural units and elements of efficiency of state programs are specified, the condition for efficiency, namely existence of direct interrelation between actions and...
- Having the courage to say 'no' Faris, Jack // Las Vegas Business Press;3/15/2004, Vol. 21 Issue 11, p4
No abstract available.
- TAX EXPENDITURE REPORTING: CLOSING THE LOOPHOLE IN STATE BUDGET OVERSIGHT. Benker, Karen M. // National Tax Journal;Dec86, Vol. 39 Issue 4, p403
In recent years, states have developed and improved budget oversight tools to strengthen control over public expenditures. However, despite these efforts, there is an area of the budget that routinely escapes rigorous inspection. This is the large allocation of state resources through the use of...
- Think the state's awash in cash? Think again. Feigenbaum, Ed // Indianapolis Business Journal;1/8/2007, Vol. 27 Issue 45, p12A
The article reflects upon the need for the State Legislature of Indiana to begin formulating a two-year budget when it reconvenes on January 8, 2007. There appears to be a philosophical divide between legislators and the government, lawmakers view the budget as an end while the government sees...
- Record Revenue Surplus. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;7/11/2006, Vol. 357 Issue 34220, p31
The article reports that Arkansas Department of Finance and Administration announced a record revenue surplus for fiscal 2006 of $402.7 million. The extra cash can be rolled into the budgets for fiscal years 2007 and 2008. The proposals for the extra cash include school facilities, rainy-day...
- Wisconsin Legislators Cut Spending To Plug $400M Budget Shortfall. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;3/14/2008, Vol. 363 Issue 32836, p31
The article reports on the proposal of the Republican majority to cut spending in order to plug the $400 million 2009 budget deficit of Wisconsin. It includes a budget reduction of $250,000, the use of $55 million from the rainy day fund that holds $57.5 million, and the delay of a $125 million...
- Placing a Bad Bet. Brunori, David // Governing;Apr2003, Vol. 16 Issue 7, p55
Presents an article about the reliance of U.S. state governments on gambling revenue to fill budget deficits as a lousy policy. Arguments against gambling as a choice for raising public revenue; Promotion of gambling across the country; Politics of anti-taxation.