A weighty issue
- Adult obesity guidelines. // Nation's Health;Mar97, Vol. 27 Issue 3, p22
Presents the `Guidance for Treatment of Adult Obesity' from the American Obesity Association and Shape Up America!. How to avail a copy for free or with $3 fee.
- Fear keeps poor from exercising. Welch, Dawn // Shape;May96, Vol. 15 Issue 9, p26
Cites a survey by Shape Up America which showed that poor people face greater obstacles when it comes to exercising. Obstacles faced by poor people; Information on Shape Up America.
- THE FIRST STEP. Fable, Shannon (Griffiths) // IDEA Fitness Journal;Apr2007, Vol. 4 Issue 4, p48
The article provides several creative walking programs that will encourage new exercisers and serve as growth venues. The walk-only programs such as the 10,000 Steps a Day program created by Shape Up America!, walking with props including Nordic walking, and beyond walking programs like...
- Obesity Is No Laughing Matter. Moore, Barbara J.; Koop, C. Everett // Journal of Women's Health;Mar98, Vol. 7 Issue 2, p183
In December 1994, Shape Up America! was launched by C. Everett Koop, to combat the growing epidemic of obesity in the United States. Shape Up America! is committed to educating all Americans about the importance of achieving and maintaining a healthy body weight through healthier eating habits...
- All it takes is 10,000 steps. Tiessen, Tanya // Alive: Canada's Natural Health & Wellness Magazine;Mar2007, Issue 293, p104
The article focuses on the 10000 steps fitness program started by the Shape Up America. As a part of the program, pedometer measures number of steps that a person takes while performing day-to-day activities. It is suggested to opt for stairs over lifts, walk while talking on phone and to park...
- Health hotlines. Geraci, Ron; Swierczynski, Duane // Men's Health;Sep97, Vol. 12 Issue 7, p46
Presents organizations that can provide information and advice about rare disorders, dermatology, sign language and weight reducing. Support of National Organization for Rare Disorders for people with little-known disorders; Information provided by the American Society For Dermatologic Surgery...
- A (Very) Brief Interview With C. Everett Koop. // Pediatric Exercise Science;Nov1996, Vol. 8 Issue 4, p283
The article presents an interview with former U.S. Surgeon General C. Everett Koop. The article discusses Koop's health crusade, known as "Shape Up America," the criticism of Koop's program by Kelly Brownell, a psychologist from Yale University, and the epidemic of obesity in the U.S. Koop's...
- Time for a Twinkie tax? Ahmad, Shaheena // U.S. News & World Report;12/29/97, Vol. 123 Issue 25, p62
Discusses how to slim down the United States, the world's fattest society. The cause and cure for obesity; The idea to make high-butterfat chocolate-chocolate chip ice cream more expensive relative to low-fat frozen yogurt, in the hopes that more citizens would reach for the yogurt.
- Cellulite meltdown? // Joe Weider's Muscle & Fitness;Aug93, Vol. 54 Issue 8, p30
Gives advice on how to remove cellulite. Fat deposits on thighs, hips and buttocks; Use of creams; Diet and exercise; Cosmetic surgery.