Liquor Tax Hike Upheld
- Judge Rejects Booze Tax Hike; Illinois Stands to Lose Millions. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;4/23/2002, Vol. 340 Issue 31371, p36
Reports on the rejection of the legality of an increase in liquor tax in Chicago, Illinois. Approval of the liquor tax to help finance a public works program; Insignificance of the tax in the repayment of bonds issued to finance projects.; Details of the court ruling.
- IRS: Colorado Springs Forward Float Not Within Safe Harbor. McConnell, Alison L. // Bond Buyer;11/26/2007, Vol. 362 Issue 32760, p5
The article reports on the argument of the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS) that the bidding for a forward-float contract in a Colorado Springs 1991 was questionable. IRS believes that the city was underpaid for the float agreement. It contends that the deal has not met the safe harbor...
- Setting the record straight on escrow-to-maturity bonds. Weiser-Varon, Leonard // Bond Buyer;05/18/98, Vol. 324 Issue 30395, p30
Opinion. Discusses various aspects of escrowed-to-maturity bonds. Issuer's optional redemption rights; Defeasance of bond indentures; Escrow to maturity of callable bonds; Possible pricing difficulties of preserving bond redemption rights.
- What You Ought to Know About Escrowed Municipals. Kirk, John // Banking;May67, Vol. 59 Issue 11, p10
Discusses the concept of investing in escrowed bonds. Description of escrowed bonds; Details on its yield; Way in which the advance refunding is accomplished.
- Forest Fire Sale. Kelemen, Jasmina // Bond Buyer;11/5/2004, Vol. 350 Issue 32005, p35
Reports that the California State Public Works Board expects to issue lease revenue bonds to fund construction of fire stations and an auto shop for the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection. Authority given to the board to construct and operate public buildings and facilities...
- Trends: A steady return. McCrindell, Rob // Fundweb;7/3/2014, p17
The article reports that spending on infrastructure is on the rise globally. There is an influx of institutional investorswho are willing to build the projects in exchange for revenue by operating them. Infrastructure assets are appealing as they offer long-term returns that are in excess of...
- After Victory, Reno Sells $114M for Rail Trench. Finestone, Deborah // Bond Buyer;6/21/2002, Vol. 340 Issue 31413, p5
Reports the selling of room tax revenue bonds to finance the rail trench project in Reno, Nevada. Approval of referendum for the selling of bonds; Attempts of petitioners to stop the bond sale; Consideration of rulings for public work projects.
- Using a Preliminary Notice to Collect on Payment Bonds. Abdulaziz, Sam K. // Reeves Journal: Plumbing, Heating, Cooling;Sep2002, Vol. 82 Issue 9, p8
Discusses the judgment of the appellate court in Placer County, California regarding a payment bond required on a public works project. Relevance of the bond in private works of improvement; Preliminary notice statutes for public and private works rewritten by the California Legislature in...
- Flagstaff Eyes Go Package. Watts, Jim // Bond Buyer;6/22/2010, Vol. 372 Issue 33337, p9
The article reports on the 86.2 million dollars general obligation funds intended to finance public works center, municipal court facility and an expansion of an existing radio system for public safety agencies in Flagstaff, Arizona.