Munis Plunge on Strong Jobs Data
- Munis, Treasuries, and Stocks All Fall as Investors Eye 'Event Risk'. Monsarrat, Sean; Chesla, Nicholas // Bond Buyer;6/10/2002, Vol. 340 Issue 31404, p2
Reports the effect of the decline of Treasury bonds on municipal bonds in the U.S. Demand for moderate supply; Losses in the broad equity gauges; Possibility of increase in interest rate.
- Munis Weaken, Treasuries Improve; Puerto Rico Agency Sells $1.2 Billion. Johnson, Anastasija // Bond Buyer;5/12/2004, Vol. 348 Issue 31882, p2
Reports on the pressure felt by municipal bonds in the U.S. Effect of the decision of the Treasury Department to sell three-year notes on the government bond market; Attribution of mutual fund redemptions to investor fears of rising interest rates; Evidence of strong employment growth provided...
- Municipal Traders Don Rally Caps Ahead of Increased Primary Supply. Johnson, Anastasija; Curran, Bill // Bond Buyer;2/8/2005, Vol. 351 Issue 32066, p2
Reports on the stability of the municipal bond market in the U.S. Improvement in the employment rate with a number of job creation in the economic report; Pricing levels of government securities; Credit-quality of tobacco bonds.
- Munis Firm Rebound in Treasuries Encourages Bargain Hunters to Return. Johnson, Anastasija; Curran, Bill // Bond Buyer;7/7/2005, Vol. 353 Issue 32167, p2
Reports that municipal bonds firmed as buyers returned to the market and began bargain hunting. Performance of both municipal and Treasury markets; Rise in the Institute for Supply Management's non-manufacturing index; Economy-created jobs in June; Largest bond deal in the long-term market.
- Munis Lose Ground on Revised Payroll Data. Scarchilli, Michael; Posner, Matthew // Bond Buyer;11/6/2006, Vol. 358 Issue 32502, p2
The article reports on the performance of the municipal market with relevance to the nonfarm payrolls data in the U.S. October 2006 payrolls data showed lower than expected but with a big revision to the September data. Treasuries had a major sell-off with that revised payroll information and...
- Delay Costs State $2.4M. Watts, Jim // Bond Buyer;2/21/2006, Vol. 355 Issue 32323, p33
The article reports that the 12-month delay wait for an Oklahoma Supreme Court ruling of a $50 million bond issue to pay for endowed university chairs cost the state about $2.4 million in interest. The interest rate was 4.42 percent when the court was asked to validate the bonds in November 2004...
- Structural Instability in the Net Discount Rate Series Based on High Grade Municipal Bond Yields. Sen, Amit; Gelles, Gregory M.; Johnson, Walter D. // Journal of Legal Economics;Fall2002, Vol. 12 Issue 2, p87
Discusses the structural ability in the net discount rate series based on high grade municipal bond yields. Use of net discount rate to calculate the present value of future earnings's losses; Average difference between the nominal interest rate and the nominal rate of wage growth; Calculation...
- MARKET STATISTICS. // Bond Buyer;11/10/2004, Vol. 350 Issue 32008, p33
Presents statistics pertaining to the municipal bond market in the United States as of November 9, 2004. Market indicators; Short-term tax-exempt yields; Securities prices; Municipal Market Data General Obligation Yields; Visible supply rises; New-issue balance; Reoffering yields; Merrill Lynch...
- Municipals Rally, Treasuries Gain; Secondary Yields Lowered on DWR. Monsarrat, Sean // Bond Buyer;11/8/2002, Vol. 342 Issue 31509, p2
Focuses on increase in the prices of bonds in the wake of interest rate cut by Federal Reserve board on November 6, 2002 in the U.S. Effect of the cut on municipal and treasury bonds; Response of the investors to the bond market; Performance of bonds of Californian Department of Water Resources.