Looking on the bright side
- Study Finds Radioactive Waste Contaminates Recycling Process. // Professional Safety;Jul2007, Vol. 52 Issue 7, p6
The article discusses a study which has found that radioactive waste has the potential to infiltrate the commercial recycling stream in the U.S. The Nuclear Information and Resources Service (NIRS) has conducted a study, in which they examined how the Department of Energy (DOE) releases...
- Flap over bringing `rad' waste home. Stein, Loren // Christian Science Monitor;7/19/96, Vol. 88 Issue 164, p4
Looks at the opposition to the United States government's pledge to collect radioactive materials from different parts of the world. Weighing the risks to the American population; Route for collecting radioactive waste; Components of the US Department of Energy's (DOE) nuclear waste retrieval...
- Legislative background. // Congressional Digest;Jan1998, Vol. 77 Issue 1, p13
Presents information on the debate of Congress on where to store nuclear waste which has accumulated over the past two decades. Details on a report on the viability of Yacca Mountain being a suitable for waste disposal; Information on Bills introduced to the Senate Committee on Energy and...
- Bombs away? Lenssen, Nicholas // World Watch;Sep/Oct1991, Vol. 4 Issue 5, p31
No abstract available.
- Suit Challenges Planned Radioactive Waste Dump in Texas. Williamson, Richard // Bond Buyer;11/12/2009, Vol. 370 Issue 33216, p3
The article reports on the lawsuit that challenges that move of the people in Andrews County, Texas to finance a low-level radioactive waste dump with 75 million bond issue.
- Radioactive waste: The size of the problem. Ahearne, John F. // Physics Today;Jun97, Vol. 50 Issue 6, p24
Outlines the origins and types of radioactive waste and provide estimates of how much of the wastes have accumulated in the United States and its location. Sources of wastes; Categories of waste; High-level waste; Spent nuclear fuel; Other high-level waste; Transuranic waste.
- A Sea of Troubles: How Plutonium Came Back to Plague Us. Busby, Chris // Ecologist;Nov99, Vol. 29 Issue 7, p396
Discusses the effect of radioactive wastes on public health in the Irish Sea. Views on dumping wastes on the sea; Cancer incidents among population living near the Irish Sea.
- Ancient nuclear dump has lessons for the future. Crabb, Charlene // New Scientist;05/31/97, Vol. 154 Issue 2084, p5
Reports on the efforts of the Centre for Surface Geochemistry in Strasbourg, Germany to stop the mining of an untouched natural reactor in Bangombe, Gabon. Preservation of prehistoric nuclear waste repository; Agreement postponing mining for a year; Similarity in structure to proposed nuclear...
- Dumps in space? Russia says: Take a chance. // Earth Island Journal;Winter92/93, Vol. 8 Issue 1, p14
Reports on a project in Moscow, Russia involving the disposal of radioactive nuclear wastes in deep space. Uncertainty on the destination of the wastes.