Haines: Issuers Must Disclose if IRS Warns Funds of Taxability
- Haines Cautions On 230 Opinions. Hume, Lynn // Bond Buyer;5/2/2005, Vol. 352 Issue 32123, p1
Reports on the caution issued on the taxability of municipal bonds by Martha Mahan Haines, chief of the U.S. Office of Municipal Securities of the Securities and Exchange Commission. Reasons that prompted Haines to issue the remark; Outlook on the definition of significant federal tax issues;...
- Paying less tax on mutual fund profits. Greenbaum, Scott D. // Black Enterprise;Nov95, Vol. 26 Issue 4, p123
Presents techniques on increasing the after-tax earnings of mutual funds. Determining the mutual fund's intended distribution date and approximate payout; Calculating the gains and losses on sales of mutual funds; Accounting for gains from mutual fund sales; Sale of losing funds and offsetting...
- Lawmakers to Propose Permanent Exemption for College Savings Plans. Hume, Lynn // Bond Buyer;5/16/2005, Vol. 352 Issue 32133, p46
This article reports that two House Ways and Means Committee members will introduce bipartisan legislation to make permanent the federal tax-exempt treatment of qualified tuition or college savings plans. Nearly 7.5 million young people across the nation currently use the plans. The plans...
- IRS Extends TEB Mediation Program For Audited Issuers Through July 2007. McConnell, Alison L. // Bond Buyer;7/11/2006, Vol. 357 Issue 34220, p4
The article reports that the U.S. Internal Revenue Service has renewed the Tax-Exempt Bond Mediation Pilot Program for another year. It can be used by issuers of tax-exempt bonds, who are under examination by the agency's tax-exempt bond office, to request intervention from a trained mediator...
- IRS Rules Louisiana Authority Bonds Taxable. Barnett, Susanna Duff // Bond Buyer;11/8/2004, Vol. 350 Issue 32006, p4
Reports on the U.S. Internal Revenue Service's ruling declaring that the interest on $100 million of tax-exempt pooled revenue bonds issued by the Louisiana Local Governmental Environmental Facilities and Community Development Authority is taxable due to arbitrate violations. Reasons given by...
- After a Positive Blip, Funds Return to Familiar Territory. Fine, Jacob // Bond Buyer;10/04/2000, Vol. 334 Issue 30989, p7
Reports on the performance of tax-exempt mutual funds in the United States for August 2000. Inflows and outflows in the funds; Municipal bond mutual fund flows.
- Net New Cash Inflows Flooded Muni Mutual Funds in January. Maurice, Alex // Bond Buyer;03/01/2001, Vol. 335 Issue 31087, p1
Reports the augmentation of tax-exempt bond mutual funds through cash inflows in New York, New York. Indication of instability of equity markets; Significance of the tax season; Interest of the people in tax-exempt areas; Comparison of net cash outflows in the years 2000 and 1994.
- IRS: Interest on Erie, Pa., District's Bonds May Be Taxable. Barnett, Susanna Duff // Bond Buyer;10/14/2004, Vol. 350 Issue 31989, p30
Reports on the United States Internal Revenue Service's (IRS) notification to the Erie, Pennsylvania, City School District that the interest in its tax-exempt bonds may be taxable because of its use of option escrow. Auditing of the bonds; School district's belief that it has complied with the...
- D.C. Mayor's Bond-Tax Plan Faces Tough Odds in Council. Vadum, Matthew // Bond Buyer;4/1/2004, Vol. 348 Issue 31854, p3
Reports on Washington, D.C., Mayor Anthony Williams' proposal to tax interest earned on out-of-district tax-exempt bonds. Opposition to the plan from the city council; Fate of similar proposal pushed by Williams in 2002.