New York Budget Is Late Again, While Education Demands Loom Ahead
- Welfare cuts threaten local economies, tax base. Connors, Cathy // New York Amsterdam News;5/25/96, Vol. 87 Issue 21, p4
Reports on the protest march against New York governor George Pataki's severance of the state's welfare budget. Ripple effects of the budget cuts; Statement on the issue released by the Community Food Resource Center; Prominent people who participated in the protest.
- Full state aid to higher education must be restored! // New York Amsterdam News;3/18/95, Vol. 86 Issue 11, p12
Editorial. Comments on New York State Governor George Pataki's proposed budget cuts. Impact of the reduction on public welfare; Replacement of state aid with tuition revenue; Significance of the Tuition Assistance Program (TAP).
- N.Y. leaders mull placing bond act in voters' hands. Roy, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;07/29/97, Vol. 321 Issue 30197, p1
Reports that New York State's political leaders are considering to place a $2 billion general obligation bond act for school construction before voters in the 1997 elections. Bond act's deadline function in the negotiations on the state budget; State Governor George Pataki's involvement in the...
- Seabrook calls for big rally, protest this month. Browne, J. Zamgba // New York Amsterdam News;3/18/95, Vol. 86 Issue 11, p6
Reports on the problems to be faced with the approval of the budgetary cuts proposed by New York State Governor George Pataki. Comments on the disadvantages of budget cuts, by Assemblymember Larry Seabrook; Translation of the cuts to job losses and closure of some hospitals; Elimination of...
- Professional development funds axed. // American Teacher;Dec2004/Jan2005, Vol. 89 Issue 4, p11
Reports on the budget vetoes by Governor George Pataki that slashed funding for Workforce Development Institute (WDI) of American Federation Labor-Congress of Industrial Organization in New York. Reimbursement by WDI of half the tuition costs incurred by teaching assistants who participate in...
- High technology in state gets big boost in budget. // Hudson Valley Business Journal;05/22/2000, Vol. 11 Issue 8, p20
Reports on the $20 million in funding included in New York State's budget for year 2000-2001 to establish a comprehensive biotechnology development program. Agencies that will administer the funding; Comments of governor George Pataki; List of specific biotechnology development programs.
- New York Gov. Pataki moves swiftly to erase spend-and-spend policies. Scherer, Ron // Christian Science Monitor;1/10/95, Vol. 87 Issue 31, p3
Part II. Focuses on plans of New York Gov. George Pataki to cut government spending and lower taxes. Details of Pataki's plans; Policy on Medicaid funding for abortions; Attitude of Democratic leaders of the state on Pataki's plans.
- Pataki plan slashes debt. Kruger, Daniel // Bond Buyer;01/27/99, Vol. 327 Issue 30566, p1
Focuses on New York Governor George E. Pataki's unveiling of a five-year budget plan on January 26, 1999. Efforts to reduce the state's outstanding debt by $4.7 billion; Scaling down of New York's need for budget access; Lowering of the state's capital spending financed by bonds from 46 percent...
- Pataki outlines budget, reviews debt-reduction plans. Kruger, Daniel // Bond Buyer;01/28/99, Vol. 327 Issue 30567, p39
Reports on New York Governor George E. Pataki's budget proposal. Proposed reduction of the state's reliance on debt; New York's projected surplus for the fiscal year ending March 31, 1999; State's ratings as second-lowest among American states; Criticisms against Pataki's proposals.