Both Sides Warned
- Iowa Gov.: No Special Session. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;4/29/2004, Vol. 348 Issue 31873, p2
Reports that Iowa's Democratic Governor Tom Vilsack will not call a legislative session despite differences between the budget he proposed and the version adopted by the Legislature. Vilsack's criticism against the effect of budget on the state's bond rating; Legislature's rejection of...
- Guarded Optimism. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;3/24/2004, Vol. 347 Issue 31848, p35
Reports on the concern of Governor Tom Vilsack on the slow rate of growth of revenue in Iowa. Increase in the collection of taxes in 2004; Assessment of the budget figures.
- Strapped States Face Hard Choices on Tax Hikes, Budget Cuts. Carvlin, Elizabeth; Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;1/14/2004, Vol. 347 Issue 31800, p26
Reports on the state budget for the Midwest. Budget deficit of Illinois; Proposal of Iowa governor Tom Vilsack for tax increases to augment its budget deficit; Two primary factors that will affect the budget of Michigan; Proposed two-year bonding package for capital projects in Missouri.
- Light Debt Ahead as Vilsack, GOP Spar Over Taxes. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;3/8/2004, Vol. 347 Issue 31836, Bond Buyer p39
Focuses on the proposed increase in the cigarette tax in Iowa. Importance of tax increase to generate more revenue for education; Opposition of Republicans on tax increase; Percentage increase in tax.
- Tax Increase Proposed To Boost School Funding. Reid, Karla Scoon // Education Week;1/21/2004, Vol. 23 Issue 19, p23
This article informs that governor Tom Vilsack of Iowa is proposing restructuring the Hawkeye State's tax system to generate revenue to keep school funding on course. Otherwise, the Democrat predicted a grim future for Iowa during his condition of the State Address on January 13, 2004 if...
- Vilsack: It's Raining. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;2/13/2002, Vol. 339 Issue 31324, p29
Reports that Iowa governor Tom Vilsack informed lawmakers about consequences the state might face due to its inability to balance its 2002 budget. Use of rainy-day reserve; Budget reductions introduced by the state.
- Vilsack's Proposal Draws Ire From Iowa GOP. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;12/28/2000, Vol. 334 Issue 31046, p32
Reports on Iowa's need to borrow funds to pay for a new public safety building to house the state medical examiner's office and a crime laboratory, according to Governor Tom Vilsack. Plans of Vilsack to recommend the borrowing plan when lawmakers reconvene in 2001; Repayment of the annual debt...
- Iowa Democrats Warn Against State Republicans' Budget Proposal for 2005. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;3/17/2004, Vol. 347 Issue 31843, p32
Focuses on the impact of fiscal 2005 budget proposal of Republican legislative leader to the bond rating of Iowa as warned by Governor Tom Vilsack and state Treasurer Michael Fitzgerald. Implication for reliance on one-time revenues; Role of cash reserves with rating from Standard & Poor's...
- Tentative Budget Plan. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;5/3/2006, Vol. 356 Issue 32373, p35
The article reports on the tentative agreement for the fiscal 2007 state budget announced last April 2006 by Iowa Governor Tom Vilsack and legislative leaders. The budget will be apportioned for various plans of the state especially in the education sector but would not include any borrowing...