Copyright Watchdog Group Voices Concerns Over Thailand
- Copy Lock. Harmon, Amy // New York Times Upfront;4/8/2002, Vol. 134 Issue 13, p7
Reports the sale of protected Compact Disc (CD) against piracy in New York. Sale of CD for prevention of copying music to computers, trade songs over Internet; Efforts of the recording companies for termination of piracy; List of corrupt CD in the web site.
- Bay of Pirates. // Business Mexico;Aug2003, Vol. 13 Issue 8, p13
Reports that Mexico ranks fourth in the world in musical piracy. Percentage of people who bought pirated versions of compact discs; Problems facing the domestic music industry.
- The road to Shanghai. Foster, Bill // Pro Sound News;Jul96, Vol. 11 Issue 7, p19
Focuses on the problem of music and computer software compact disc (CD) piracy in China and Southeast Asia. Southeast Asia as source of a major percentage of the growth in worldwide CD manufacturing capacity; Strong initiative by the Chinese authorities to stamp out CD piracy; Manufacturing...
- Why copy protection on CDs is 'worthless'. Fox, Barry // New Scientist;11/9/2002, Vol. 176 Issue 2368, p9
Reports on the assertion of a computer scientist John Halderman from Princeton University, New Jersey that continual upgradation of computer compact disc (CD) drives and audio CD players render copy protection systems non-functional. Common factor in different copy protection formats of compact...
- IFPI unveils symbol for anti-piracy week. // Music Week;9/21/2002, Issue 38, p1
Reports on the launching of an international symbol for copy-protected music compact discs by the organization IFPI.
- A crime in many shapes and sizes. // UNESCO Courier;Mar2001, Vol. 54 Issue 3, p42
Focuses on book piracy in Asia. Methods of book piracy.
- CHINA TOUTS PIRACY FIGHT. Coonan, Clifford // Daily Variety;1/19/2006, Vol. 290 Issue 14, p6
The article reports on the raid at 17 illegal CD production lines in China. The nationwide crackdown on piracy and porn has seized 169 million illegal publications in 2005. According to Liu Yunshan, spokesman for the Communist Party's central committee, that their work would lessen piracy...
- Labels Turn to Bonus DVDs To Drive CD Sales. KIPNIS, JILL; WHITMIRE, MARGO // Billboard;12/7/2002, Vol. 114 Issue 49, p3
Discusses the move of record companies to offer CD/DVD packages as a way to add value for consumers and combat piracy as of December 2002. Decision of Atlantic to release CD/DVD projects after an album has already met with some success; Information on negative feedback from retailers about...
- Culture club CELEBRITY TIPS ON WHAT TO READ, SPIN AND RENT. // InStyle;Jul2002, Vol. 9 Issue 8, p112
Focuses on the choices of books and compact discs and videodiscs of actors and actresses. Favorite book of Sissy Spacek; Recommendation of Billy Thornton for a John Lennon CD; Praises of Chloe Sevigny for the motion picture 'They Shoot Horses, Don't They?'