SUBSTANCE ABUSE PREVENTION IN SIXTH GRADE: THE EFFECT OF A PREVENTION PROGRAM ON ADOLESCENTS' RISK AND PROTECTIVE FACTORS
- Adolescent substance use and peer use: a multilevel analysis of cross-sectional population data. Kristjansson, Alfgeir Logi; Sigfusdottir, Inga Dora; Allegrante, John P. // Substance Abuse Treatment, Prevention & Policy;2013, Vol. 8, p1
Background: Limited evidence exists concerning the importance of social contexts in adolescent substance use prevention. In addition to the important role schools play in educating young people, they are important ecological platforms for adolescent health, development and behaviors. In this...
- A 'scientific' approach to keep teens off drugs. KERLIKOWSKE, GIL // Contemporary Pediatrics;Oct2009, Vol. 26 Issue 10, p24
The article reports on strategies implemented in the U.S. to teenagers from abusing drugs. A study by the National Institute of health (NIH) found that science-based approaches can lessen the likelihood of adolescents from having problematic behaviors such as alcohol and tobacco use. There is...
- What friends are for. Delaney, Lisa // Health (Time Inc.);Jul2007, Vol. 21 Issue 6, p236
The article reports on Karyn Simmons' decision to teach middle school health and wellness classes. Ms. Simmons' close girlfriend died of anorexia. This tragedy prompted Ms. Simmons to teach health and wellness. She has since become employed at a substance abuse prevention program where she hopes...
- Counterpoint: The Government Should Put more Effort into Drug Prevention Programs. Lambrick, Melanie // Canadian Points of View: Substance Abuse & Youth;2016, p3
The article presents an argument against youth substance abuse. It is the author's opinion that youth substance abuse in Canada is a serious problem and that current programs addressing the issue are underfunded, inefficient, and ineffective. Risk factors for substance abuse are discussed....
- The graveyard shift. Meek, Garry L. // FBI Law Enforcement Bulletin;Mar1995, Vol. 64 Issue 3, p7
Features an alcohol and drug abuse prevention display and video program initiated by the police department of Farmersville, California. Display of a hearse and a casket.
- 50 centers to train volunteers in substance abuse prevention. // Public Health Reports;Mar/Apr92, Vol. 107 Issue 2, p237
Reports that the Public Health Service is funding establishment of a National Volunteer Training Center for Substance Abuse Prevention. Contract awarded to Super Teams Operating Company of Sayville, NY; Where the headquarters will be located.
- New `Health Link' substance abuse program targets women and teens before and after jail. // Public Health Reports;May/Jun92, Vol. 107 Issue 3, p363
Details the new `Health Link' substance abuse program, developed by the Hunter College Center on AIDS, Drugs, and Community Health in New York City to make a difference. The traditional approach to substance abuse; Participants from Rikers Island prison; Goals of the program.
- A substance abuse prevention program for preschoolers. Leins, Sylvia // Public Health Reports;Mar/Apr93, Vol. 108 Issue 2, p166
Discusses the proposed project calling for an effective primary prevention program for alcohol, other drugs, and tobacco which can begin at the preschool level. Project objectives; Games; Costs; More.
- Five cities selected for high risk youth funding // Alcoholism Report;Jul/Aug92, Vol. 20 Issue 11, p10
Announces that five programs have been selected by the Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse (CASA) at Columbia University to participate in a $10 million dollar national anti-drug demonstration and research effort targeted to disadvantaged 11 to 13 year olds who experiment with alcohol and...