California Appeals Court Decision Upholds Prop. 13's Property Tax 'Recapture'
- It's way past time to complete Unigov. Williams, Brian // Indianapolis Business Journal;8/13/2007, Vol. 28 Issue 23, p13
The article discusses the property-tax problems in Marion County and around Indiana. The problems involved the manner in which property is assessed and the government infrastructure that establishes tax rates or levies and whose operations are funded in large measures by property-tax...
- ASSESSMENT-SALE RATIOS UNDER THE BOSTON PROPERTY TAX. Oldman, Oliver; Aaron, Henry // National Tax Journal;Mar65, Vol. 18 Issue 1, p36
Analyzes the pattern of deviation of property tax assessments from the legally established norm of uniform assessment at 'fair cash value' in Boston, Massachusetts. Use of data on sales price, assessed value, location, and use for properties within the property tax jurisdiction of Boston;...
- CALIFORNIA. // Property Tax Alert;Nov2007, Vol. 13 Issue 11, p6
This section offers news briefs related to property tax in California. In the court case, Little versus Los Angeles County Assessment Appeals Boards, the California Court of Appeal, Second Appellate Court, ruled that a property owner could not bring a court action for a peremptory writ of...
- A perfect storm. Schitzler, Peter // Indianapolis Business Journal;6/4/2007, Vol. 28 Issue 13, p3
The article discusses the possibility that some homeowners in Marion County and other parts of Indiana could see as much as 50% increase in property tax. The dramatic property-tax hikes are partly attributed to Indiana's abolition of the inventory tax across the state in 2002. As assessors...
- A Discussion about Chinese "Property Tax" and its Reform Goals. Cai Hongying; Xu Jian Guo // Journal of Property Tax Assessment & Administration;2007, Vol. 4 Issue 2, p23
The article examines the design of the property tax system of China, as well as its need to reach an agreement regarding its reform goals. Key information about the Communist Party of China (CPC)'s Central Committee's Decisions on Some Problems in Consummating the Market Economic System is...
- Tax us, please. Miller, Jay // Crain's Cleveland Business;3/31/2003, Vol. 24 Issue 13, p1
Property owners in the Cedar-Lee and Cedar-Fairmount areas are working to create special improvement districts, or SIDs that would add a levy to their property taxes to generate revenue for marketing and physical improvements to their districts. John Zagara, store director at Zagara's...
- Manufacturers support reassessment delay. Olson // Indianapolis Business Journal;01/03/2000, Vol. 20 Issue 43, p14
Comments on the support given by manufacturers in Indiana to recommendations made by Governor Frank O'Bannon to delay the implementation of a property reassessment plan. Adverse impact of the reassessment proposal on the industry; Tax rules drafted by the State Board of Tax Commissioners.
- Ad Valorem Appraisals and the Reuse of Inner-City Properties. Malizia, Emil E. // Assessment Journal;Jan/Feb99, Vol. 6 Issue 1, p18
Compares the market values of a sample of inner-city properties in Greensboro, North Carolina, to their assessed values for real property tax purposes. Process of tax appraisal; Objectives of property assessment; Reasons for overvaluation; Process of inner-city redevelopment.
- Can you reduce your taxes? Daks, Martin // Business News New Jersey;2/21/96, Vol. 9 Issue 4, p20
Advises business owners on assessing their local property tax assessment notices. Possible overpayment of taxes; Noting the average ratio of assessed value to the true value; Assessment appeals; Submission of estimates of market property values.