- A Seed's Needs. // Scholastic SuperScience;Apr2009, Vol. 20 Issue 7, p10
The article presents step-by-step instructions on how to grow a seed.
- Monkey Plants Seeds. // Weekly Reader - Pre K;May/Jun2005, p1
Presents a quiz regarding the sequence of the growth of seeds.
- Successful Seed Starting. // Country Journal;Jan/Feb2000, Vol. 27 Issue 1, p67
Gives tips on starting seeds indoors.
- Story of a Seed. // Weekly Reader News - Edition 3;3/27/2009, Vol. 78 Issue 21, p3
The article describes and illustrates the growth of a seed into a plant. In order to grow, seeds need water and oxygen. When they absorbed the water, a root will soon emerge from the seed. It then collects water and minerals from the soil. Its stem and leaves will eventually come out and grow....
- From seed to seed in 20 weeks. Hamilton, Anthony // Garden;Feb2008, Vol. 133 Issue 2, p116
The article focuses on techniques to speed up the Gladiolus life cycle in order to develop desired characteristics. The author explains that John Pilbeam, a retired farmer, is one of the most successful British gladiolus breeders. Attention is paid to his techniques including the removal of...
- Listen up! Plants may 'hear' others. Marshall, Michael // New Scientist;6/9/2012, Vol. 214 Issue 2868, p15
The article discusses the results of a study by botanist Monica Gagliano of the University of Western Australia which researched plant signals and the possibility that plants can "hear" other plants. Topics include a description of Gagliano's experiment using chilli pepper seeds and a potted...
- Initial Growth of Soybean Plants from Seeds of High and Low Vigor Subjected to Water Stress. Tavares, Lizandro Ciciliano; Rufino, Cassyo Araujo; Madruga Tunes, Lilian; Trzeciak, Mario Borges; Pino, Mateus; Barros, Antonio Carlos Souza Albuquerque // Journal of Agricultural Science (1916-9752);Jun2012, Vol. 4 Issue 6, p246
This study intends to evaluate responses on the growth of soybeans plants from seeds with high and low vigor in different drought periods. Experimental design was completely randomized in factorial AXB (Factor A: variables 0, 2, 3, 4 and 5 water stress; Factor B: level of seed vigor, high and...
- Effects of nitrogen form and its supply position on maize seedling growth under partial root- zone water stress. Xiu-jie Zhou; Hai-hong Wang; Liang-zuo Shu; Peng-fei Zhu; Jian-bo Shen; Zhong-zheng Li; Chen Liang // Yingyong Shengtai Xuebao;Aug2010, Vol. 21 Issue 8, p2017
A split root system consisting of two compartments was installed to study the effects of nitrogen form and its supply position on the growth of maize seedlings under partial root-zone water stress. Polyethylene glycol ( PEG 6000) was added to the nutrient solution in one compartment to simulate...
- gibbous:. Gough, Robert E. // Glossary of Vital Terms for the Home Gardener;1993, p44
A definition of the term "gibbous" is presented. It means swollen on one side.