OBESITY -- Issues and Implications
- Diagnosing & Treating Obesity. Plank, Suzi // American Chiropractor;Jan2005, Vol. 27 Issue 1, p28
The article reports on the diagnosis and treatment of obesity. Reports state that 60% of Americans are now either overweight or obese. Studies continue to indicate that obesity is now a statistically normal condition in the U.S., Great Britain, and even in China. The negative effects of obesity...
- A New Diet: Lawsuits and Advice From the Government. Rippel, Barbara; Smith, Frances // Consumers' Research Magazine;Aug2003, Vol. 86 Issue 8, p34
Focuses on the obesity problem in the U.S. Measures taken to combat obesity in the country; Potential targets for obesity according to trial lawyers; Reasons for obesity according to most physicians, dietitians, nutritionists and other scientists.
- Analyses of body composition charts among younger and older Chinese children and adolescents aged 5 to 18 years. Kai-Yu Xiong; Hui He; Yi-Ming Zhang; Guo-Xin Ni // BMC Public Health;2012, Vol. 12 Issue 1, p835
Background: Childhood obesity has become a major public health problem in China. The objective of this study was to examine the effect of age and sex on the relationship between fat-free mass (FFM) and fat mass (FM), fat-free mass index (FFMI) and fat mass index (FMI) in Chinese children using...
- Fat chance for students who have grown obese. // New Orleans CityBusiness (1994 to 2008);8/9/2004, Vol. 25 Issue 5, p24
Editorial. Comments on the problem of childhood obesity in New Orleans, Louisiana. Rank of the state in the spending on obesity-related medical expenditures; Proposed bill which will create a pilot program to gather obesity data in state schools.
- OOH-LA-LA. // Vegetarian Times;Sep2003, Issue 313, p16
Reports on the ten percent obesity rate in France as of September 2003. Concerns of clothing designers about the obesity rate.
- WEIGHT�HELP US! Johnson, Lesley // Joe Weider's Muscle & Fitness;Oct2005, Vol. 66 Issue 10, p64
Deals with the efforts of state health officials of West Virginia to study the growing obesity problem in the state. Rank of the state in terms of obesity according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; Factors contributing to obesity; Plan of officials to develop a kit that...
- What do we do about the problem of overweight and obesity in the Americas? Teelucksingh, Surujpal // Revista Panamericana de Salud P�blica;May2003, Vol. 13 Issue 5, p275
Editorial. Introduces two articles that deal with the problem of obesity in the Americas.
- Pathways to obesity in a developing population: The Guangzhou Biobank Cohort Study. S Kavikondala; CM Schooling; CQ Jiang; WS Zhang; KK Cheng; TH Lam; GM Leung // International Journal of Epidemiology;Feb2009, Vol. 38 Issue 1, p72
Background �Environmental mismatch� may contribute to obesity in rapidly developing societies, because poor early life conditions could increase the risk of obesity in a subsequently more socio-economically developed environment. In a recently developing population (from southern China) we...
- Evidence-based assessment of key points for decision-makers: obesity. // European Health Report 2005;2005, p36
The article highlights the evidence-based assessment of key points for decision-makers in obesity-related problems. According to the author, the risks related to obesity can be reduced through weight reduction. Moreover, the risks associated with obesity, even if weight reduction is not...