Report Urges Creation of New Agency to Develop Vaccines
- Build Bio-Defense System Now. Jeffrey, Terence P. // Human Events;9/24/2001, Vol. 57 Issue 35, p7
Stresses the need for the United States (U.S.) Defense Department to provide biological defense systems in response to the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks and the threat of other potential enemies. Information on a report from the Office of Technology Assessment in 1993; Views on the...
- Biological warfare: The threat of the millennium. George, Kerry Ann // U.S. Naval Institute Proceedings;Jul99, Vol. 125 Issue 7, p86
Warns that biological warfare is the threat of the third millennium. Failure of the United States and European countries to deal with the threat following the discovery of toxic germs in Iraq; Measures considered by the United States Defense Department on its war on biological weapons;...
- Terrorism's new threater. Danitz, Tiffany // Insight on the News;01/26/98, Vol. 14 Issue 3, p12
Gives information on the identification of nine countries as potential germ warfarers by the United States Defense Department. Advantages and disadvantages of the germ; Detailed information on biological weapons; Comments from Jeffrey Simon, director of the Political Risk Assessment Company;...
- Global War on Terrorism: DOD Should Consider All Funds Requested for the War When Determining Needs and Covering Expenses: GAO-05-76. // GAO Reports;9/28/2005, p1
To assist the Congress in its oversight role, GAO is undertaking a series of reviews on the costs of operations in support of the Global War on Terrorism (GWOT). In related work, GAO is raising concerns about the reliability of the Department of Defense's (DOD) reported cost data and therefore...
- Combating Terrorism: Issues to Be Resolved to Improve Counterterrorism Operations: NSIAD-99-135. // GAO Reports;5/13/1999, p1
During the past three years, federal agencies have conducted several successful interagency operations overseas, including some in which suspected terrorists have been returned to the United States to stand trial. Some agencies have also deployed personnel and equipment to prepare for special...
- NGIC: Penetrating the Fog of War. O'Connell, Robert // Military Intelligence Professional Bulletin;Apr-Jun2002, Vol. 28 Issue 2, p14
Focuses on the National Ground Intelligence Center (NGIC) of the U.S. Department of Defense located in Charlottesville, Virginia. Mission of NGIC; Roles of the main production directories of NGIC; Priorities of NGIC after the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.
- Posse Comitatus and Nuclear Terrorism. Quillen, Chris // Parameters: U.S. Army War College;Spring2002, Vol. 32 Issue 1, p60
Examines the role of the U.S. Department of Defense in countering domestic terrorism. Treatment of the department on the limitations placed by the Posse Comitatus Act of 1878; Use of the threat of nuclear terror; Involvement of the military in traditional law enforcement.
- DoD to Combat Effects of Civilian Downsizing. Garamone, Jim // Program Manager;Jul/Aug2000, Vol. 29 Issue 4, p10
Reports on the effects of civilian downsizing at the United States Department of Defense and the challenge of addressing the problem. Seniority of the workforce; Increase in the average age; Need for age diversity; Differences in the occupational mix; Requirement for increased technological...
- Department of Defense: Status of Financial Management Weaknesses and Actions Needed to Correct Continuing Challenges: T-AIMD/NSIAD-99-171. Dorado, Gene L. // GAO Reports;5/4/1999, p1
Focuses on financial management weaknesses of the U.S. Department of Defense. Challenges facing the agency; Financial statement of the agency; Accounting practices of the department.