Befriending the night
- Dear Highlights. B., Chris; R., Kestyn; C., Maggie; P., Katherine // Highlights for Children;Jan2006, Vol. 61 Issue 1, p42
The article offers advice on dealing with several issues related to children including the use of small notes to remind of pet-related chores such as feeding and cleaning the cage and the importance of talking to parents about fear in the dark.
- DOLLY doctor life. // Dolly;Dec2004, Issue 410, p158
Offers advice for teenagers about family and relationships. Ways to recover from an eating disorder; Tips on dealing with over-protective parents; Guide to overcoming fear of the dark.
- fast fix for kids who are still afraid of the dark. // Parenting School Years;Dec2009/Jan2010, Vol. 23 Issue 11, p34
The article offers tips for parents on dealing with kids who are still afraid of the dark. It recommends picking up some glow sticks and keeping them on a child's nightstand. Another option is to loop these glow sticks through the top and hang it on her or his doorknob. It notes that glow sticks...
- Fight or Flight. Miller, Susan A. // Scholastic Parent & Child;Nov2010, Vol. 18 Issue 3, p82
The article focuses on fear in preschool children. The author states that it is normal for a preschooler to have fears like fear of the dark but it is important for parents to understand that the child is just reacting to his basic survival instincts. Parents should give verbal assurance to...
- Night Things. Schuh, Dwight // Bowhunter;May/Jun2007, Vol. 36 Issue 6, p80
In this article the author explains how he overcame his fear of the dark to allow for his bowhunting at night.
- Dear Readers. Clark, Christine French // Highlights for Children;Oct2007, Vol. 62 Issue 10, p4
A letter to the editor is presented in response to the article "Afraid of the Dark."
- Afraid of the Dark. ANTHONY, MICHELLE // Scholastic Parent & Child;Apr2012, Vol. 19 Issue 7, p60
The article focuses on children being scared of dark and what parents can do about it.
- Reducing a child's nighttime fears. Merritt, Jon E. // Elementary School Guidance & Counseling;Apr91, Vol. 25 Issue 4, p291
Describes ways to cope with a child's nighttime fears. Identification of causes of anxiety; Involvement and education of parents; Child education; Exploration and discussion of fear through art; Teaching of competence-related self-affirmation technique; Relaxation and positive visual imagery;...
- FEAR OF THE DARK. // Kirkus Reviews;7/1/2006, Vol. 74 Issue 13, p657
The article reviews the book "Fear of the Dark," by Walter Mosley.