TITLE

Arterial endothelial denudation by intraluminal use of papaverine—NaCl solution in coronary bypass surgery

AUTHOR(S)
Mäyränpää, Mikko; Simpanen, Jarmo; Hess, Michael W.; Werkkala, Kalervo; Kovanen, Petri T.
PUB. DATE
April 2004
SOURCE
European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery;Apr2004, Vol. 25 Issue 4, p560
SOURCE TYPE
Academic Journal
DOC. TYPE
Article
ABSTRACT
Objectives: Preservation of endothelial integrity during coronary artery bypass grafting is considered important for short- and long-term patency of the graft. In current literature there are controversial data about the safety of papaverine, a vasorelaxant widely used in coronary artery bypass grafting. Accordingly, we examined the immediate effects of papaverine on the endothelial morphology of arterial grafts and on viability of cultured human coronary artery endothelial cells. Methods: Totally 22 segments of the radial artery were collected from 11 patients undergoing coronary artery bypass grafting. The segments were cut from the distal redundant parts of the arteries, which were not required for bypass grafting. A small distal segment of the artery was excised and placed into autologous heparinized whole blood (control segment). The rest of the graft, still remaining proximally attached to the circulation, was treated intraluminally with papaverine–NaCl solution (pH 4.2) for 5 min, after which another small distal segment was excised for the study (papaverine-treated segment). Segments were then perfusion-fixed and the endothelial surface was examined by scanning electron microscopy. Endothelial denudation was assessed and its severity graded. Additionally, viability of cultured human coronary artery endothelial cells after treatment with papaverine was assessed with trypan blue staining. Results: Treatment with papaverine solution markedly increased the endothelial denudation (grades from 6.2±1.7 to 10.0±3.5; mean±SD; P=0.004). Papaverine-treatment increased trypan blue staining of cultured human coronary artery endothelial cells regardless of papaverine diluent (normal saline of pH 4.5 or 7.4 or blood). Conclusions: Treatment of arterial grafts with papaverine solutions apparently damages endothelial cells. Thus, the clinical practice of dilating arterial bypass grafts with papaverine should be reassessed, and alternative methods of vasodilatation should be considered.
ACCESSION #
12576217

 

Related Articles

  • Early neurological complications of coronary artery bypass surgery. Shaw, Pamela J.; Bates, David; Cartlidge, Niall E.F.; Heaviside, David; Julian, Desmond G.; Shaw, David A. // British Medical Journal (Clinical Research Edition);11/16/1985, Vol. 291 Issue 6506, p1384 

    Examines the neurological complications of coronary artery bypass surgery. Prevalence of neurological complications after surgery as indicated in the evaluation; Occurrence of death and severe disability due to neurological disorders; Observation of prolonged depression of conscious level.

  • A Case of Pituitary Hemorrhage Following Cardiopulmonary Bypass Surgery. Kocyigit, Ozgen Ilgaz; Kabatas, Serdar; Civelek, Erdinc; Tuncay, Ezgi; Omay, Oguz; Cansever, Tufan; Turkoz, Ayda // Surgical Science;May2011, Vol. 2 Issue 3, p159 

    A 68-year-old female patient with previous history of transsphenoidal hypophysectomy operation underwent three-vessel coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery for extensive coronary artery disease. Preoperative neurological examination revealed sequelae visual loss at right temporal visual...

  • Intensive glucose management after coronary bypass did not provide additional protection against complications. Altersitz, Katrina; Copeland, Reagan; Costa, Samantha; Tiver, Allegra // Endocrine Today;Jul2014, Vol. 12 Issue 7, p24 

    The article discusses findings of a study conducted by Dr. Guillermo E. Umpierrez of Emory University, Atlanta which shows the failure of intensive glucose control in reducing complications suffered by patients after heart bypass surgery.

  • VALVE REPLACEMENT AND CORONARY REVASCULARIZATION: COMBINED SURGICAL APPROACH. Janke, Walter H.; Cafoncelli, Antonio // Vascular Surgery;Nov/Dec1975, Vol. 9 Issue 5, p323 

    Report is presented of sixteen patients who had coronary bypass procedures performed in combination with valvular surgery. There was a hospital mortality of two patients or 12.5%. Significant improvement occurred in the remaining fourteen patients or 87.5%. Of these fourteen patients, one...

  • VALVE REPLACEMENT AND CORONARY REVASCULARIZATION: COMBINED SURGICAL APPROACH. Janke, Walter H.; Cafoncelli, Antonio // Vascular Surgery;Nov/Dec1975, Vol. 9 Issue 5, p323 

    Report is presented of sixteen patients who had coronary bypass procedures performed in combination with valvular surgery. There was a hospital mortality of two patients or 12.5%. Significant improvement occurred in the remaining fourteen patients or 87.5%. Of these fourteen patients, one...

  • Popliteal Artery Aneurysm Surgery: The Role of Emergency Setting. Lichtenfels, Eduardo; Frankini, Airton Delduque; Bonamigo, Telmo Pedro; Cardozo, Marco Aurelio; Schulte, Alfredo Augusto // Vascular & Endovascular Surgery;Apr/May2008, Vol. 42 Issue 2, p159 

    The aim of this study was to compare the outcomes of emergent surgery caused by acute complications versus elective surgery of popliteal artery aneurysms (PAAs) and to evaluate the advantages of elective repair related to limb salvage and bypass patency rates. Fifty PAAs were operated on in 40...

  • Influence of vein graft use on postoperative 1-year results after off-pump coronary artery bypass surgery. Cho, Kwang Ree; Jeong, Dong Seop; Kim, Ki-Bong // European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery;Nov2007, Vol. 32 Issue 5, p718 

    Abstract: Objective: We studied the postoperative 1-year results after off-pump coronary artery bypass surgery (OPCAB) with one or more saphenous vein grafts. Methods: We compared the clinical and angiographic results of 833 patients who underwent OPCAB between 1998 and 2004. Group 1 patients (n...

  • Medico-legal autopsy in postoperative hemodynamic collapse following coronary artery bypass surgery. Karhunen, Janne P.; Karhunen, Pekka J.; Raivio, Peter M.; Sihvo, Eero I. T.; Vainikka, Tiina L. S.; Salminen, Ulla-Stina // Forensic Science, Medicine & Pathology;Mar2011, Vol. 7 Issue 1, p9 

    Sudden unexpected postoperative hemodynamic collapse with a high mortality develops in 1-3% of patients undergoing coronary artery bypass surgery (CABG). The contribution of surgical graft complications to this serious condition is poorly known and their demonstration at autopsy is a challenging...

  • Comparing Hospitals that Perform Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery: The Effect of Outcome Measures And Data Sources. Hartz, Arthur J.; Kuhn, Evelyn M. // American Journal of Public Health;Oct94, Vol. 84 Issue 10, p1609 

    Objectives. The relative quality of hospital care often is judged by comparing risk-adjusted rates of adverse outcomes. This study evaluated whether hospital quality comparisons are affected by the choice of outcome and the use of administrative data instead of clinical data. Methods. The data...

Share

Read the Article

Courtesy of VIRGINIA BEACH PUBLIC LIBRARY AND SYSTEM

Sorry, but this item is not currently available from your library.

Try another library?
Sign out of this library

Other Topics