Current and future concepts in stroke prevention
- Saving costs using an ounce of prevention: Introduction of a regional stroke prevention clinic. Bisaillon, Susan; Douen, André; Neabel, Barbara; Pageau, Nicole; Selchen, Dan // AXON/ L'AXONE;Spring2006, Vol. 27 Issue 3, p29
Trillium Health Centre (THC) is one of Canada's largest community hospitals and a regional provider of tertiary-level cardiac, neuroscience, and orthopedic care. In 2001, it was named one of nine Regional Stroke Centres in Ontario, with a mandate to coordinate stroke services across the...
- Cardiology. Amsterdam, Ezra A. // Patient Care;1/15/1998, Vol. 32 Issue 1, p101
Presents a study entitled `Reductase Inhibitor Monotherapy and Stroke Prevention,' by J.R. Crouse III, R.P. Byington, H.M. Hoen, et al in the 1997 issue of the Arch Intern Med and the `Cholesterol Lowering With Statin Drug, Risk of Stroke, and Total Mortality: An Overview of Randomized Trials,'...
- Secondary Prevention of Ischemic Stroke: Evolution from a Stepwise to a Risk Stratification Approach to Care. Jamieson, Dara G. // Disease Management;Oct2007, Vol. 10 Issue 5, p273
Survivors of ischemic stroke are at significant risk for recurrent stroke. Appropriate therapy for stroke prevention is needed given the significant morbidity and mortality associated with stroke, the high financial costs, and the neurologic disability associated with treatment failure. A...
- Coil embolization accounts for 23% decline in aneurysm deaths. FORD, OMAR // Medical Device Daily;5/27/2009, Vol. 13 Issue 100, p1
The article discusses research being done on the link between coil embolization and aneurysm deaths. It references a study by Andrew Molyneux and colleagues, published in "The Lancet Neurology." The study included 2,143 patient who were diagnosed with ruptured intracranial aneurysm between 1994...
- Dairy calcium: a stroke in the plus column. MacDonald, Helen Bishop // Canadian Nurse;May2006, Vol. 102 Issue 5, preceding p1
Claims that dairy calcium intake can prevent stroke. Overview of a study in Japan which demonstrated that mortality from stroke is significantly reduced among Japanese who consume greater amounts of dairy; Relative risk in the highest versus lowest quintiles of dairy calcium intake among men...
- Strategy for stroke. Dennis, Martin; Warlow, Charles // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);9/14/91, Vol. 303 Issue 6803, p636
Reports on stroke prevention and treatment in a key area in England. Government criteria for a key area; Approaches in stroke prevention; Reduction of mortality rate in stroke patients.
- Warding off stroke. // Tufts University Health & Nutrition Letter;Jun98, Vol. 16 Issue 4, p7
Presents information on stroke prevention. Reference to guidelines on stroke prevention from the National Stroke Association; Number of Americans that suffer strokes each year; How to avoid a stroke; Comments from Philip Gorelick, director at Chicago's Rush Presbyterian Hospital and a member of...
- Government starts talks on development of Polypill. Kelly, Brian // Pulse;11/17/2003, Vol. 63 Issue 46, p2
Reports that the British government has opened talks on the possibility of developing a single pill that could reduce the risk of stroke and heart disease. Characteristics of the pill; Researchers involved in the study.
- Prevent stroke's sneak attack: Know the risks, early symptoms. Lepke, Janet // Environmental Nutrition;Apr94, Vol. 17 Issue 4, p1
Focuses on strokes, the third leading cause of death in the United States. Definition of stroke; Types of stroke; Risk factors; Warning signs; Advice on how to avoid strokes.