HOW TO LIE WITH STATISTICS
- Welfare fixers. Wolfson, Adam // Commentary;Apr96, Vol. 101 Issue 4, p38
Opinion. Comments on public welfare in the United States. Background on the US welfare system; Political aspects of the welfare system; Efforts to reform welfare; Arguments for welfare reform from Charles Murray's book `Losing Ground: American Social Policy 1950-1980'; Marvin Olasky's book `The...
- Welfare lines. Allen, Charlotte // Washington Monthly;Dec94, Vol. 26 Issue 12, p20
Discusses social scientist Charles Murray's opinions on the American welfare system. Argument for the abolition of welfare in his books `Losing Ground' and `The Bell Curve'; Welfare system's encouragement of laziness, dependence on handouts and endemically low self-esteem among recipients;...
- Reducing Out-of-Wedlock Births. Twohey, Megan // National Journal;7/17/99, Vol. 31 Issue 29, p2102
Discusses the prevalence of illegitimate births in the United States (US). Lobbying efforts among legislators to prevent such trend; Two provisions of the 1996 welfare reform act approved by the US Congress; How the variations in state strategies make it difficult to determine who the real...
- Minnesota's Family Loan Program. Mueller, Marsha R.; Berde, Carol T. // Public Welfare;Spring96, Vol. 54 Issue 2, p32
Focuses on the state of Minnesota's Family Loan Program. How the loan program works; Activity and performance measures; Effect of the program on borrowers; Lessons about borrowers; Successes; Challenges faced by the program. INSETS: In their own words: Marcia.;In their own words: Wendi..
- Does welfare bring more babies? Murray, Charles // American Enterprise;Jan/Feb94, Vol. 5 Issue 1, p52
Examines the effects of welfare on childbearing behavior. Studies of the effects of differences in Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC) among states; Variation in AFDC payments across time; Two ways of looking at black illegitimacy.
- In welfare reform, governors miss the point. Rector, Robert // Policy Review;May/Jun96, Issue 77, p30
Reports that proposed welfare reform plans ignore America's biggest social problem on the rise of illegitimacy. Number of children born out od wedlock; Increase in the illegitimacy rate for whites; Family collapse as root cause of social problems.
- Does welfare encourage illegitimacy? Haskins, Ron // American Enterprise;Jul/Aug96, Vol. 7 Issue 4, p48
Presents evidence supporting the assertion that welfare encourage illegitimacy in the United States. Background on the increase in births out of wedlock since the 1960s; Results of studies made on the subject.
- Reviews. Rauber, Paul // Sierra;Sep/Oct95, Vol. 80 Issue 5, p90
Reviews the book `Losing Ground: American Environmentalism at the Close of the Twentieth Century,' by Mark Dowie.
- WELFARE-BASHING REDUX. Bernstein, Jared // Humanist;Jan/Feb95, Vol. 55 Issue 1, p22
Profiles social theorist Charles Murray and his views on welfare issues. Welfare system as causing poverty by creating incentives to form `nontraditional' families; Reductionist theory that welfare causes the rising proportion of female-headed families; Need to examine the value of the welfare...