KWASHIORKOR A NUTRITIONAL DISEASE OF CHILDREN ASSOCIATED WITH A MAIZE DIET
- Kwashiorkor. Ramachandran, Prema // Indian Journal of Medical Research;Jul2012, Vol. 136 Issue 1, p108
The article offers information on kwashiorkor, which refers to a nutritional syndrome characterized by oedema, dermatosis, diarrhoea and fatty liver. It cites research studies on this topic carried out in India. Particular focus is given to a paper by Gopalan and colleagues, which found that...
- KWASHIORKOR IN INDIA. Gopalan, C.; Ramalingaswaml, V. // Indian Journal of Medical Research;Jul2012, Vol. 136 Issue 1, p751
The article presents research on kwashiorkor in India, conducted by Gopalan and colleague in the 1950s. Kwashiorkor refers to a malnutrition syndrome in children characterized by oedema, dermatosis, diarrhoea, and fatty liver. It is believed to have existed in India for a long time, although...
- Under-five protein energy malnutrition admitted at the University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, Enugu: a 10 year retrospective review. Ubesie, Agozie C.; Ibeziako, Ngozi S.; Ndiokwelu, Chika I.; Uzoka, Chinyeaka M.; Nwafor, Chinelo A. // Nutrition Journal;2012, Vol. 11 Issue 1, p43
Objective: To determine the prevalence, risk factors, co-morbidities and case fatality rates of Protein Energy Malnutrition (PEM) admissions at the paediatric ward of the University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital Enugu, South-east Nigeria over a 10 year period. Design: A retrospective study using...
- A 16-month-old female presents with lethargy and edema. Brien, James H. // Infectious Diseases in Children;Jan2011, Vol. 24 Issue 1, p16
The article describes the case of a 16-month female diagnosed with Kwashiorkor.
- AFRICA NEEDS LIFESAVING HIGH-LYSINE CORN. SerVaas, Cory // Saturday Evening Post;Mar85, Vol. 257 Issue 2, p58
Emphasizes the need for high-lysine corn in the diet of starving children in Ethiopia. Predominance of kwashiorkor malnutrition in children; Prevention of kwashiorkor by providing children with high-lysine corn instead of regular corn; Importance of lysine in the diet; Debilitation and death...
- Serum vitamin A levels in children with protein energy malnutrition. Ebele, J. Ikekpeazu; Emeka, E. Neboh; Ignatius, C. Maduka; Azubike, N. Ezedigbo; Tola, Odetunde // Current Pediatric Research;Jan2010, Vol. 14 Issue 1, p9
Protein energy malnutrition (PEM) is central to paediatric mortality in most developing and underdeveloped countries. Deficiency of essential macro molecules such as proteins and weight loss has also been demonstrated in cases of PEM. This study is therefore designed to investigate the effect of...
- Hypothermia in Children with Severe Malnutrition: Low Prevalence on the Tropical Coast of Kenya. Talbert, Alison; Atkinson, Sarah; Karisa, Japhet; Ignas, James; Chesaro, Charles; Maitland, Kathryn // Journal of Tropical Pediatrics;Dec2009, Vol. 55 Issue 6, p413
Hypothermia is stated as a common complication of severe malnutrition although there are little primary data to support this. We performed a prospective study of children with severe acute malnutrition (SAM) admitted to a district hospital in Kenya. We documented the prevalence of hypothermia...
- Stomach this... faecal transplants reveal gut bug menace. // New Scientist;2/9/2013, Vol. 217 Issue 2903, p19
The article discusses a study by Jeffrey Gordon at Washington University in St Louis, Missouri, and colleagues in a 2013 issue of "Science" magazine investigating a severe form of malnutrition, called kwashiorkor, that found gastrointestinal microbes restricted calorie availability.
- kwaÂ·shiÂ·orÂ·kor. // American Heritage Student Science Dictionary;2009, p194
A definition of the term "kwashiorkor," is presented. It refers to a disease, usually of children, caused by lack of protein in the diet, resulting in swelling of the limbs, enlargement of the liver, potbelly, reduced growth and change in the color of skin and hair.