- Fast food workers under attack. Peterson, Chris // Green Left Weekly;2/10/2010, Issue 825, p9
The article reports that the decision of Fair Work Australia to cut overtime payments and Sunday penalty rates will have a negative implication on fast food workers and retail workers.
- Voluntary closure. // A-Z of Food Safety;2007, p414
An encyclopedia entry for voluntary closure, a practice in food safety which means that in certain situations, such as breaches of food safety legislation, the owner of a food business may offer to close the premises voluntarily, is presented. It explains that most food authorities are inclined...
- Campus Food Service Is Retail Unit. // Labor Law Journal;Oct75, Vol. 26 Issue 10, p675
This article focuses on the developments in labor-management relations in the United States as of October 1975. Meals were furnished to students as part of a contract meal plan. Students were billed by the university, which in turn paid the contractor. The cafeteria was open to the public and...
- Chinese workers getting burned. Fickenscher, Lisa // Crain's New York Business;4/3/2006, Vol. 22 Issue 14, p1
This article focuses on the treatment of Chinese restaurant workers, both legal and illegal, in the U.S. They are recruited by employment agencies in New York City--the gateway for Chinese immigration and sent to businesses around the country. They often receive less than minimum wage, are...
- LOOK BACK. J. M. // City Limits Magazine;Mar2011, Vol. 35 Issue 1, p64
The article focuses on the wage issue between the food service workers of the Jing Fong restaurant and restaurant owners. Jing Fong workers claimed the restaurant had been stealing tips and shorting workers on overtime. In 1997, then New York State attorney general Dennis Vacco sued Jing Fong...
- FROM WASHINGTON. // FoodService Director;5/15/2003, Vol. 16 Issue 5, p16
Presents updates on the food service industry in the U.S. as of May 15, 2003. Role of the food service industry in homeland security according to Agriculture Secretary Ann Veneman; Proposal from the Department of Labor that would overhaul rule governing overtime pay for food service personnel.
- Home-meal battle heats up. Papiernik, Richard L. // Nation's Restaurant News;12/15/97, Vol. 31 Issue 50, p46
Reports that several supermarket and restaurant operators are expanding their own versions of home-meal replacement (HMR) while Boston Chicken Incorporated tries to scratch out a financial survival plan for its dwindling Boston Market chain. Chains restaurants that launches some competition...
- NEWS DIGESTS. // Nation's Restaurant News;4/26/2004, Vol. 38 Issue 17, p48
Reports on developments related to the restaurants and food service in the United States, as of April 26, 2004. Ten best new chefs named by "Food & Wine" magazine for 2004; Georgia Pecan chicken tender salad being promoted by O'Charley's restaurants in Nashville, Tennessee; Food fare offered by...
- Breaded chicken. Sheehan, Patricia // Food Management;Jan2003, Vol. 38 Issue 1, p70
Food service operators can add flavor and profit to children's meals with Perdue Breaded Chicken Nuggets and Patties. They are available in a variety of shapes and sizes, and in a line of Child Nutrition Labeled items. The Nuggets and Patties are fully cooked and oven-and fryer-ready.