"Get Over Your English Self!"
- LANGUAGE MAINTENANCE. Champagne, Duane; Bright, William // Native America: Portrait of the Peoples;1994, p437
An encyclopedia entry on the obsolescence and extinction of the North American Indian languages is presented. It addresses the obsolescence and extinction of the languages, after the implementation of the Indian Reorganization Act of 1934, which leads to the loss of much cultural knowledge. Some...
- Introduction: Teaching Slavic Languages and Cultures. Pylypiuk, Natalia // Canadian Slavonic Papers;Mar-Jun2004, Vol. 46 Issue 1/2, p1
Presents a series of articles on teaching Slavic languages and cultures.
- A young community member who talks the talk. MCGREGOR, SUSIE // Eastern Door;6/22/2012, Vol. 21 Issue 24, p11
The article offers information on Kahnawake woman who is going to start the Ratiwennahni:rats Kanien'keha language program in September 2012 to promote her regional language and culture.
- Aboriginal literacy: Reading the tracks. Dunn, Myra // Reading Teacher;Apr2001, Vol. 54 Issue 7, p678
Provides information on Aboriginal literacy in Australia. Relationship between literacy and power; Social context of language development; Aspects of cultural difference in language and literacy learning.
- Tribal College Professors Act to Save Endangered Languages. Ivanova, Karen // Community College Week;5/13/2002, Vol. 14 Issue 20, p22
Reports the reauthorization of the Native American Languages Act and the support given by Native American Indian professors at Belknap Community College in Montana. Importance of learning the Indian languages among Indian students; Budget allotted for native language and bilingual education...
- Oregon Instructor Helps Revive Dying Tribal Tongue. // Community College Week;12/9/2002, Vol. 15 Issue 9, p14
Presents information on the efforts of Gilbert Towner, a community college instructor in Oregon, to teach a disappearing Indian tribal language to the state's tribal descendants. Historical background of the Tututni tribe; Background on the Tututen language; Details of the language sessions...
- Politique linguistique en Nouvelle-Calï¿½donie. Tairraz, Coralie // Synergies: Pays Germanophone;Nov2012, Issue 5, p51
The language policy of New Caledonia is a crucial issue, as it is both the heir of a colonial heritage and part of the future of the country. The Noumï¿½a Agreement (Accord de Noumï¿½a) is a landmark in the post-colonial history of New Caledonia. Passed in 1998, it establishes, among other...
- Estudiar la lengua leyendo anuncios de televisiÃ³n y prensa grÃ¡fica. Vicens, Xavier Fontich // Lectura y Vida;jun2008, Vol. 29 Issue 2, p46
The experience described herein aims at supporting the students during the transition from passive to critical consumers of ads and publicity. The direction headed in goes from the ad itself to the complex world of publicity, since dealing with the study of advertisements on their visible side...
- REPRESENTACIONES Y PAUTAS DE LA TRANSMISIÃ“N LINGÃšÃSTICA INTERGENERACIONAL EN FAMILIAS LINGÃœÃSTICAS MIXTAS (CATALÃN/CASTELLANO, CATALÃN/GALLEGO, CATALÃN/ITALIANO) EN CATALUÃ‘A, MALLORCA Y COMUNIDAD VALENCIANA. TORRENS GUERRINI, R. M.; BALLARIN GAROÑA, J. M.; LABRAÑA BARRERO, S. // RaeL: Revista Electronica de Linguistica Aplicada;2010, Issue 9, p43
The present study shows partial results of the research project Evotranling. Linguistically mixed couples are studied with these initial languages: 1) Bilingual or Catalan / Spanish or Bilingual, 2) Catalan / Galician, 3) Catalan / Bilingual (Galician and Spanish), 4) Bilingual or Catalan /...