SOURCE GUIDE 2004: PRODUCTS & SERVICES
- News Glimpses. // Fire Engineering;Apr2005, Vol. 158 Issue 4, p69
This article focuses on news glimpses. Seat belts saved 1,60,000 lives in the U.S. since 1960. A government analysis shows that safety belts saved 160,000 lives in the United States, more than half the lives saved by auto safety features adopted since 1960. Among safety features assessed were...
- Air bag rescue: An unusual application. Krebs, Dennis R. // Fire Engineering;May95, Vol. 148 Issue 5, p65
Discusses how the Baltimore County, Md. fire department used an air bag to rescue an 800-pound man who had slipped on the floor in a local hospital. Challenge of lifting the man into bed; Possible fractured pelvis; Alternatives explored; Positioning of the bags; Other equipment used.
- SCIENCE ON SCENE: AIR BAG RESTRAINT/CRUDE OIL HAZARDS. Lutz, Steve // UFRA Straight Tip;Jul-Sep2014, Vol. 15 Issue 3, p28
The article offers information on the Airbag Restraint System (ARS), a prototype restraints bag made from canvas and rope designed by high voltage lineman Ray Mann. Topics discussed include the sound-absorbing material component of the ARS, the importance of the ARS for prevention of injuries...
- APPARATUS & COMPONENTS. // Fire Chief;Nov2006, Vol. 50 Issue 11, Special section p3
The article presents information on several fire fighting equipment. Frontal air bags will be offered for the first time in the Velocity fire truck. The enclosed rear storage of the pumper Dakota can hold a lot of stuff including a 22-foot extension ladder and a 10-foot roof ladder. In the...
- Side Airbag Tank Explosion Complicates Extrication of Victim. Dalrymple, Dave // Fire Engineering;Apr2007, Vol. 160 Issue 4, p66
The article discusses side impact air bags and their implication in passenger extrication from vehicles after an accident. The author notes an incident where the tank providing gas for the inflation of an air bag exploded during passenger extrication. Best practices are offered for dealing with...
- Safety En Route. // Industrial Fire World;Spring2013, Vol. 28 Issue 2, p14
The article highlights the advantages of the Advanced Protection System (APS) developed by Spartan Chassis, a subsidiary of Spartan Motors, when it comes to the safety and protection of the life of the firefighter. Among the improvements that APS offers are airbags to protect the knees of the...
- Look Inside a Firehouse! // Scholastic News -- Edition 1;Oct2001, Vol. 58 Issue 2, p1
Describes the routine of firefighters inside a fire station.
- When seeing red is a good thing. Sanders, Ramona C. // Collinsville Herald;8/22/2012, Vol. 54 Issue 34, pA2
The article announces that the Collinsville Fire Department in Illinois will be participating in the Red Shirts Fridays national initiative where every firefighter will wear red shirts on Fridays beginning August 2012 as a way of showing support to the men and women serving in the U.S. military.
- LACK OF TRAINING, EQUIPMENT LEAD TO FATAL FIRES IN DETROIT. Claxton, Melvin; Hurt, Charles // IRE Journal;May/Jun2001, Vol. 24 Issue 3, p14
Discusses the problems posed by inadequate training and equipment of firefighters in Detroit, Michigan.