U.S., Japanese airmen rescue F-16 pilot
- Lost in the Bermuda Triangle. Edwards, Ron // Aviation History;Jul99, Vol. 9 Issue 6, p50
Relates the mysterious disappearance of the five TBM Avengers in the Bermuda Triangle during a routine training mission in 1945. Background on the reliability of the torpedo bomber TBM Avengers; Mission of the ill-fated Flight 19; Details on the mysterious disappearance of the planes; Search...
- DOWN MEMORY'S RUNWAY. Reed, Boardman C. // Air Classics;Sep2007, Vol. 43 Issue 9, p58
Photographs of several military aircraft incidents during the World War II are presented.
- FY97 engine-related mishap summaries. Bradford, Bill; Greenwood, Rich; Bloomfield, Bob // Flying Safety;Feb98, Vol. 54 Issue 2, p23
Presents the summary of the US Air Force's engine-related Class A and Class B mishaps in fiscal year 1997. Slight increase in mishap rate for F-16s; F-100-PW-200 engine; F100-PW-220/220E engine; F100-PW-229 engine; F110-GE-100 engine; F110-GE-129 engine; F100-PW-100 engine.
- Ice, Vertigo, Goo and a Whole Lot of Aircraft. Schuette, Jason // Approach: The Naval Safety Center's Aviation Magazine;Apr2001, Vol. 46 Issue 4, p12
Relates an experience in airplane accidents in the United States. Goal of the flight; Oil-pressure problems encountered during the flight; Factor of weather to the accident; Lessons from the accident.
- The flight-deck ripple. Garcia, Ruben // Approach: The Naval Safety Center's Aviation Magazine;Nov/Dec94, Vol. 39 Issue 6, p1
Describes the effects of leadership by example among military personnel. Responsibility for avoiding mishaps in the work place; Negligence of fastening of chin straps by the crew in the flight deck.
- Pin heads. Miles, Erik J. // Approach: The Naval Safety Center's Aviation Magazine;Nov/Dec94, Vol. 39 Issue 6, p30
Narrates an American Air Force officer's experience during an extra-training flight to Texas. Fueling delays; Forgetting to pull-out the nose-gear pin; Melting of tire.
- Bird-gut soup. Murphy, Derek // Approach: The Naval Safety Center's Aviation Magazine;Mar/Apr96, Vol. 41 Issue 2, p10
Narrates the author's experience as a military pilot in the United States on the dangers caused by a flock of birds during airplane flights. Damages suffered by the plane.
- Snow in the Red Sea? Schwaiger, Gregory // Approach: The Naval Safety Center's Aviation Magazine;Mar/Apr96, Vol. 41 Issue 2, p22
Narrates the experience of the author, a member of the US Navy airmen, in piloting a military helicopter in the Red Sea. Use of the helicopter in transferring shipments from one boat to another; Failure of the aircrewman to follow standard operating procedures in unloading the aircraft...
- Making money. Ganse, Tom // Approach: The Naval Safety Center's Aviation Magazine;Mar/Apr96, Vol. 41 Issue 2, p28
Focuses on the importance of adaptability and flexibility of military airplane pilots in avoiding accidents. Case studies of two incidents of training sessions; Skills required for effective aircrew coordination.