News @ a glance
- E. coli ST131 dominates health care-associated infections. // Infectious Disease News;May2013, Vol. 26 Issue 5, p25
The article discusses research from Mayo Clinic Assistant Professor Ritu Banerjee and colleagues which revealed that Escherichia coli sequence type 131 was the dominant clonal group responsible for infections in the health care industry, published in a 2013 issue of the journal "Infectious...
- Canada closer to E. coli vaccine. // Food Engineering;Nov2001, Vol. 73 Issue 11, p11
Reports the plan of a Canadian alliance of researchers to launch field trials on a vaccine against Escherichia coli bacteria in Alberta. Provision of investment funds by Technology Partnerships Canada; Description of E. coli; Efficacy of the vaccine.
- Debugging expression screening. Felgner, Philip L.; Liang, Xiaowu // Nature Biotechnology;Apr99, Vol. 17 Issue 4, p329
Describes a procedure that has the potential to erode further the predominance of Escherichia coli as a preferred medium of recombinant-DNA manipulation. Basis of the approach; Details of the procedure; Difficulties in the development of DNA vaccines.
- Vaccination with FimH Adhesin Protects Cynomolgus Monkeys from Colonization and Infection by Uropathogenic Escherichia coli. Langerman, Solomon; Mollby, Roland; Burlein, Jeanne E.; Palaszynaski, Susan R.; Auguste, C. Gale; DeFusco, Anthony; Strouse, Robert; Schenerman, Mark A.; Hultgren, Scott J.; Pinkner, Jerome S.; Winberg, Jan; Guldevall, Lena; Soderhall, Mats; Ishikawa, Kiyohito; Normark, Staffan; Koenig, Scott // Journal of Infectious Diseases;2/1/2000, Vol. 181 Issue 2, p774
Reports that vaccination with FimH adhesin protects cynomolgus monkeys from colonization and infection by uropathogenic Esherichia coli. Bladder infections with type 1-piliated Escherichia coli; Antibody response to FimCH immunization; Effect of adhesin vaccine on normal gut flora.
- Safety and Immunogenicity of Intranasally Administered Inactivated Trivalent Virosome-Formulated... Gluck, Reinhard; Mischler, Robert; Durrer, Peter; Furer, Emil; Lang, Alois B.; Herzog, Christian; Cryz Jr., Stanley J. // Journal of Infectious Diseases;3/1/2000, Vol. 181 Issue 3, p1129
Studies the safety and immunogenicity of intranasally administered inactivated trivalent virosome-formulated influenza vaccine containing Escherichia coli heat-labile toxin as a mucosal adjuvant. Serum hemagglutination inhibition antibody response after intranasal immunization; Protective...
- Survival of Enteric Pathogens in Common Beverages: An in Vitro Study*. Sheth, Neela K.; Wisniewski, Thomas R.; Franson, Timothy R. // American Journal of Gastroenterology;Jun1988, Vol. 83 Issue 6, p658
This in vitro study was undertaken to determine the potential for survival of enteric pathogens in common drinking beverages. Three carbonated soft drinks, two alcoholic beverages, skim milk, and water were inoculated with Salmonella, Shigella, and enterotoxigenic...
- A universal influenza A vaccine based on the extracellular domain of the M2 protein. Neirynck, Sabine; Deroo, Tom; Saelens, Xavier; Vanlandschoot, Peter; Jou, Willy Min; Fiers, Walter // Nature Medicine;Oct99, Vol. 5 Issue 10, p1157
The antigenic variation of influenza virus represents a major health problem. However, the extracellular domain of the minor, virus-coded M2 protein is nearly invariant in all influenza A strains. We genetically fused this M2 domain to the hepatitis B virus core (HBc) protein to create fusion...
- E coli vaccine approved for use on open farms. // Veterinary Record: Journal of the British Veterinary Association;10/6/2012, Vol. 171 Issue 14, p345
The article reports that the Veterinary Medicines Directorate (VMD) has approved the importation and use of Escherichia coli vaccine Econiche, licensed in Canada, under its Special Treatment Certificate (STC) scheme.
- Characterization of Enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli Strains in Patients with Travelers' Diarrhea Acquired in Guadalajara, Mexico, 1992-1997. Zhi-Dong Jiang; Mathewson, John J.; Ericsson, Charles D.; Svennerholm, Ann-Mari; Pulido, Carmen; DuPont, Herbert L. // Journal of Infectious Diseases;2/1/2000, Vol. 181 Issue 2, p779
Examines the relationship between enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli (ETEC) and travelers' diarrhea in a high-risk area in 1992-1997. Distribution of enteropathogens among patients with travelers' diarrhea in Guadalajara, Mexico in 1992-1997; Bacterial components that may be useful in a vaccine...