Preventing failure at school
- ENGINEERING STUDENTS' SURVIVAL GUIDE: Success Isn't an Accident: Avoiding the Five Roads to Failure. Phillips, Bruce E. // Hispanic Engineer & Information Technology;Nov/Dec2003, Vol. 18 Issue 2, p38
Provides information on the reasons Hispanic American engineering students fail according to several guidance counselors and academic deans in the United States.
- The Effects of a Peer-Mediated Positive Behavior Support Program on Socially Appropriate Classroom Behavior. Christensen, Lynnette; Young, K. Richard; Marchant, Michelle // Education & Treatment of Children (ETC);Aug2004, Vol. 27 Issue 3, p199
This study explored the results of aligning functional behavioral assessment (FBA) information with positive behavior support plans (PBS plans) designed with consideration for teacher acceptability. The independent variable had the three major components of a package, including assessment and...
- The First Step: Some States' Working Definitions of Students 'At Risk'. T. M. // Education Week;9/21/1988, Vol. 8 Issue 3, p14
The article discusses the result of a survey indicating the majority of state governments that either adopted or are preparing a definition for the segment of their students at risk for school failure in the U.S. Their definitions had been based in state board and department policy statements,...
- No Choice But Success. Corbett, Dick; Wilson, Bruce; Williams, Belinda // Educational Leadership;Mar2005, Vol. 62 Issue 6, p8
Focuses on the belief of urban teachers in the U.S. that the responsibility for student success rested on the educators. Causes of student failure; Examples of practices used by teachers to reap positive results from students; Description of a good teacher.
- SECONDARY STUDENT PERCEPTIONS OF FACTORS EFFECTING FAILURE IN SCIENCE IN PORTUGAL. Fonseca, Jesuína M. B.; Conboy, Joseph E. // Eurasia Journal of Mathematics, Science & Technology Education;Jul2006, Vol. 2 Issue 2, p83
High rates of failure in secondary level science classes are a problem worldwide. Effective teaching and efficient management of schools requires information as to the causes of failure. One approach to acquiring this information is to improve our understanding of what the students themselves...
- Ä°lkÃ¶ÄŸretim Ã–ÄŸrencilerinin Akademik BaÅŸarÄ±sÄ±zlÄ±klarÄ±na Ä°liÅŸkin Veli, Ã–ÄŸretmen ve Ã–ÄŸrenci GÃ¶rÃ¼ÅŸlerinin Ä°ncelenmesi. Altun, Sadegül Akbaba // Ilkogretim Online;2009, Vol. 8 Issue 2, p567
The aim of this study is to find out factors that causes elementary education students' academic faliure. Participants were selected by using criterion sampling. Data were collected by elementary education studetns, their parents, and teachers through open ended survey. Collected data were...
- L'Ã©preuve des trois arbres. Le Bihan, M. // Echanger;2010, Issue 92, Special section p1
No abstract available.
- COLUMN ONE. R. R. // Education Week;11/25/1992, Vol. 12 Issue 12, p6
The article reports developments related to education in the U.S. The new study by the National Center for Education Statistics confirms that minority students are more likely to be at risk of school failure. The extension of remediation periods during the school day had helped disadvantaged...
- Research in Reading. Stinnett, Melissa // Illinois Reading Council Journal;Summer2008, Vol. 36 Issue 3, p53
The article examines the article entitled "Miseducating Teachers About the Poor: A Critical Analysis of Ruby Payne's Claims About Poverty," by Randy Bomer, Joel E. Dworin, Laura May, and Peggy Semingson. It explores Payne's findings which reveal that people living in poverty represent deficit...