Collier County settles lawsuit against Coopers & Lybrand for $115,000
- Blacks win $2.1 mil. suit against international accounting firm. // Jet;3/7/94, Vol. 85 Issue 18, p14
Reports on the victory of the accounting firm Barrow, Aldridge & Co. in a lawsuit against Coopers & Lybrand. Coopers' violation of a 1977 agreement with Barrow regarding projects and share profits; Comments by Barrow owner Tom Barrow; Amount of damages awarded to Barrow.
- C&L seeks to overturn Phar-Mor verdict. P.D. // Practical Accountant;May96, Vol. 29 Issue 5, p10
Reports that Coopers & Lybrand (C&L) seeks to overturn jury verdict in a fraud and embezzlement case against former client Phar-Mor Incorporated. Comments on verdict by C&L chairman Nicolas G. Moore; Reasons for jury's decision; History of Phar-Mor's economic situation; Persons responsible for...
- Losing some battles but winning the war? // Accountancy;Dec1997, Vol. 120 Issue 1252, p8
Reports on the settlement two lawsuits filed against Coopers & Lybrand over its audit of the Wallace Smith Trust Co. Details of the cases.
- $15 million settlement in life insurer failure. // Business Insurance;4/08/96, Vol. 30 Issue 15, p14
Reports that in Tallahassee, Florida, key figures in the collapse of Guarantee Security Life Insurance Company will pay $15 million in cash, securities, and property to settle fraud and civil theft claims filed by the Florida Department of Insurance. Settlement approved by a Florida circuit...
- Now accounting firms are suing each other. P.D. // Practical Accountant;Mar97, Vol. 30 Issue 3, p12
Reports on the filing of a suit by BDO Seidman against Coopers & Lybrand (C&L). Alleged interference by Coopers in BDO's partnership agreement and its relations with clients; Contention that C&L used confidential information from three BDO partners in preparation for joining the Big Six firm;...
- Ohio: C&L wrongly withheld records. P.D. // Practical Accountant;Oct95, Vol. 28 Issue 10, p10
Reports that a dispute with Xenia Towers, a bond-financed real estate limited partnership, over an unpaid $7,500 consulting bill, led to a disciplinary action against Coopers & Lybrand by the Accountancy Board of Ohio. C&L's withholding of Xenia's records; Violation of state statutes; Ohio...
- Firm settles Maxwell suit. // Pensions & Investments;10/14/1996, Vol. 24 Issue 21, p37
Reports that Coopers and Lybrand agreed to pay millions of dollars to creditors of Maxwell Communication Corporation PLC, in the lawsuit brought against them. Reason for lawsuit; How the litigation arose; Refusal of Coopers and Lybrand to comment.
- Pacific rim. // Futures: News, Analysis & Strategies for Futures, Options & Deri;Mar1996, Vol. 25 Issue 3, p22
Reports on Ernst & Young and their claims against Coopers and Lybrand in London and Singapore and Deloitte & Touche in Singapore. Obligations taken over by ING; Comments of a Coopers & Lybrand spokesman.
- Barrow, Coopers headed for trial. Roush, Matt // Crain's Detroit Business;11/29/93, Vol. 9 Issue 48, p3
Reports on a lawsuit filed by Detroit certified public accountant Tom Barrow against accounting firm Coopers & Lybrand on alleged breach of contract and fraud of the latter. Background of the case; Coopers' defense against the charges; Issue on the interpretation of contract between Barrow and...