Miami Mayor says predecessor exaggerated debt level
- Xavier Suarez rallies from behind to become Miami's first strong mayor. McEntee, Christopher // Bond Buyer;11/17/97, Vol. 322 Issue 30274, p36
Reports that Florida attorney Xavier Suarez was sworn in as Miami's first strong mayor on November 14, 1997 following a come-from-behind victory over incumbent Joe Carollo. Implications of Suarez's victory on Miami's financial woes; Powers granted to Suarez after voters approved a strong-mayor...
- Miami mayor's ideas on new fiscal plan raise some eyebrows. McKenna, Jon // Bond Buyer;11/19/97, Vol. 322 Issue 30276, p1
Reports on the budget plan of Miami, Florida Mayor Xavier Suarez. Review of an updated recovery plan; Cuts in operating budget; Sale of city-owned properties.
- Once and present mayor of Miami speaks his mind. // Bond Buyer;12/23/97, Vol. 322 Issue 30298, p1
Presents an interview with Miami Mayor Xavier Suarez, whereby he discusses his plans for the debt stricken city.
- Miami Oversight Board gets tough, limits approval of contract payments. Molis, Jim // Bond Buyer;03/04/98, Vol. 323 Issue 30343, p40
Reports on the Miami Financial Emergency Oversight Board's tightening of its reins on the city due to officials' inaction on proposals for closing a projected deficit for the fiscal year 1998. Board's disapproval of contracts until it is satisfied with the way the city proposed to balance its...
- Outrage Over Mayor's Ad Threat. Noack, David // Editor & Publisher;1/17/98, Vol. 131 Issue 3, p14
Focuses on the investigation regarding a warning issued by Dade County, Florida Mayor Xavier Suarez that he will cancel city advertising if 'Miami Herald' newspaper will not stop criticizing his government. Violations of city charter associated with the warning; Allegations against Suarez's...
- A rocky start for Miami's new mayor. Richey, Warren // Christian Science Monitor;1/26/98, Vol. 90 Issue 41, p4
Focuses on the problems confronting Miami, Florida mayor Xavier Suarez. Financial problems and corruption; Actions of the mayor; Association with the city commissioner under federal indictment for fraud and money laundering; Claims of nepotism; Threats to the local press, the `Miami Herald';...
- `Mayor Loco' loses suit. Fitzgerald // Editor & Publisher;12/11/99, Vol. 132 Issue 50, p13
Reports on the lawsuit filed by Xavier Suarez, former mayor of Miami, Florida, against `The Miami Herald' newspaper columnist Carl Hiaasen. Case background.
- City's local leaders are not exactly Miami Nice. Ward, Janet // American City & County;Sep99, Vol. 114 Issue 11, p6
Reveals the political conditions in Miami, Florida. Problem between Miami mayor Joe Carollo and Xavier Suarez; Relationship between elected and appointed city and county leaders.
- NEWSDIGEST. // Marketing News;02/02/98, Vol. 32 Issue 3, p1
This article presents news briefs related to marketing. Skaters Michelle Kwan, Tara Lipinski and Nicole Bobek have skated into Camden, New Jersey-based company Campbell Soup Co. history as the first women to appear on its famous red-and-white label. This company is dubbing the trio its Dream...