WWI Prototypes Marked Origin of Littoral Combat Ship
- New Carrier Island Is At Heart of Higher Sortie Rates for CVN 21. Keeter, Hunter // Sea Power;Jun2003, Vol. 46 Issue 6, p23
Features the CVN 21 aircraft carrier of the U.S. Navy. Improvements of the ship; Capacity; Hull design of the carrier.
- Navy UCAS Vital For Future Threats, But Lack of Support Could Doom Effort. Fein, Geoff // Defense Daily;6/24/2008, Vol. 238 Issue 60, p3
The article presents information the findings of a study conducted by the U.S. Center for Strategic and Budgetary Assessments (CSBA) on the U.S. Navy. According to CSBA, the Navy's effort to develop an aircraft carrier based unmanned combat aircraft system (UCAS) is absolutely critical to the...
- Bow-On Recovery. Sproge, Kevin // Approach: The Naval Safety Center's Aviation Magazine;Sep/Oct2004, Vol. 49 Issue 5, p13
The article presents author's experiences as a nugget pilot on USS Enterprise (CVN-65) in the U.S. Navy. It informs that on the second month of cruise, the author finally spared some brain power for something other than taking off and landing on the ship at night. They were settling into a...
- DESTROYERS WITH WINGS. Gault, Owen // Sea Classics;Jun2010, Vol. 43 Issue 6, p10
The article discusses the attempt of the U.S. Navy in fitting Vought OS2U Kingfisher to its brand new 2050-ton Fletcher class of destroyers. It states that the project will be a failure because the idea of the project has already been tried in the 1920s and it failed though single-engine...
- A Paradigm Shift. Polmar, Norman // U.S. Naval Institute Proceedings;Mar2012, Vol. 138 Issue 3, p88
The article focuses on the paradigm shift in the U.S. Navy. The carrier Gerald R. Ford (CVN-78) will cost an estimated 12 to 16 billion dollars and the next carrier, the planned CVN-79, will cost almost the same. Aircraft carriers are important and the U.S. need to retain them. Aegis surface...
- NAVY SHIPS. // Sea Power;Jan2005, Vol. 48 Issue 1, p9
The article presents information on the ships employed by the U.S. Navy. American aircraft carriers each provide over four acres of sovereign U.S. territory when and where needed. In support of Operation Enduring Freedom, Navy aircraft flew more than 14,000 sorties, delivering various types of...
- Carrier Aviation on the Move: But Going Where? Polmar, Norman // U.S. Naval Institute Proceedings;Jun2007, Vol. 133 Issue 6, p86
The article presents information on various issues including cost, design and future prospects of aircraft carriers of the U.S. Navy. It is reported that the equivalent of two years of the Navy's shipbuilding budget is being spent to develop and build a single warship named the Gerald R. Ford....
- SHIPS/NAVY. // Sea Power;Jan2002, Vol. 45 Issue 1, p105
Presents several ships used by the United States Navy. Aircraft carriers; Ballistic-missile submarines; Attack submarines; Logistics positioning ships; Combat prepositioning ships.
- Reconnaisance for the Aircraft Carrier. Hooton, Ted; Biass, Eric H. // Armada International;Aug/Sep2003, Vol. 27 Issue 4, p10
Focuses on the reemergence of aircraft carriers as one of the options for firepower for the world's modern navies. Role of aircraft carriers in force projection; Aircraft carrier projects of the U.S. Navy; Capabilities of aircraft carriers.