Don't fall for bad rent deals
- Negotiating Common Area Maintenance Costs. Betesh, Marc E.; Davids, Nancy M. // Probate & Property;May/Jun2009, Vol. 23 Issue 3, p40
The article discusses the evolution of common area maintenance (CAM) clauses, the variations in these clauses and how CAM pass-throughs operate. In modern retail leases, the CAM clause obligates the tenant to pay a specified share of certain defined costs of operating the center. Two main...
- Talk to your landlord. // Inside Tucson Business;10/20/2008, Vol. 18 Issue 20, p5
The article explores the need for a retailer having financial troubles to discuss issues with his landlord in Tucson, Arizona. The move enables the tenant to work out some sort of lease payment relief and prevent him from closing the business. Tenants are advised to sort things out with...
- Retail call for index linking. Bill, Peter; Neale, Jon // Estates Gazette;10/22/2005, Issue 542, p32
Reports on the call for landlords to offer retail tenants index-linked leases by Michael Wemms, chairman of the British Retail Consortium in Great Britain in 2005. Impact of inflexible lease terms on retailers; Concerns over commercial leases; Efforts of the government to set up draft laws to...
- What rent concessions should you negotiate? Di Sciullo, Alan M. // National Real Estate Investor;Aug93, Vol. 35 Issue 8, p18
Discusses the forms of rent concessions and how to maximize the benefits in the negotiation of the lease. Real estate industry in slump; Tenant's market; Identification of rent components; Spreading concessions over lease term; Turnkey work allowance; Longer lease terms at lower rents;...
- TAKING SPACE Safeco Leads Office Leases with 120,000 square feet; Linksys Tops Industrial Deals with 120,300 square feet. // Orange County Business Journal;7/15/2002, Vol. 25 Issue 28, p25
Presents a list of commercial leases in Orange County, California which ended on March 31, 2002. Landlord representative of Vantis Laguna Hills Drive; Tenant of 4400 MacArthur Blvd. in Newport Beach; Term of 3340 E. La Palma Ave. in Anaheim.
- A two-pronged approach to evaluating retail tenants. Fegan, John // Journal of Property Management;May/Jun95, Vol. 60 Issue 3, p56
Offers advice for shopping center managers on ways to evaluate prospective tenants. Guidelines on evaluation; Using a cash flow and capitalized lease value worksheet; Income from the tenant; Costs of doing the deal; Valuation of the deal; Using a tenant evaluation chart; Tenant financial data;...
- Determining Restoration Responsibility Before Making Alterations. // Commercial Tenant's Lease Insider;Aug2012, Vol. 9 Issue 10, p1
The article provides an answer to a question regarding the removal of the alterations that tenants are made during the lease.
- Does 'Equitable Relief' Excuse Lateness of Tenants' Option to Renew? // Commercial Lease Law Insider;Jan2012, p1
The article provides an answer to a question on how to assess whether a lessor allow the tenant to renew its lease retroactively.
- Q&A: Don't Let Minor Oversights Give Tenant Right to Terminate. // Commercial Lease Law Insider;Apr2012, p7
The article provides an answer to a question of how to obligate tenants to continue complying with their lease obligations even if the landlord violates the lease.