Music for the End of Time
- Master and pupil. Griffiths, Paul // New Yorker;9/14/92, Vol. 68 Issue 30, p85
Discusses the works and musical technique of a master classical composer of operas and symphonies, Olivier Messiaen, as well as one of his younger students, Pierre Boulez, and recent productions of their compositions. How each one's work reflects that of the other; The Salzburg Music Festival;...
- Messiaen: Illuminations of eternity. Pniewski, Tom // World & I;Feb93, Vol. 8 Issue 2, p158
Profiles Olivier Messiaen, one of the most startlingly original composers of our time. He found much of his inspiration in the doctrines of the Roman Catholic church, which he served as organist for most of his life. Influences from ancient Greece and India; Death last April; Forty major...
- Hymns of praise. CLINCH, DERMOT // New Statesman;01/22/99, Vol. 128 Issue 4420, p41
Profiles composer Olivier Messiaen. Style of Messiaen's music; Information on some of his works.
- A Note from the Executive Editor. Levin, David J. // Opera Quarterly;Autumn2011, Vol. 27 Issue 4, p339
An introduction is presented in which the editor discusses topics addressed within the issue, including the opera "Saint FranÃ§ois d'Assise" by Olivier Messiaen, virtual presentation of opera, and the role of the operatic prompter.
- Bird's-eye view. Pfaff, Tim // Bay Area Reporter;3/27/2008, Vol. 38 Issue 13, p33
The article reports on U.S. performances that are slated to mark the centenary year of composer Olivier Messiaen in 2008.
- The last of Messiaen. Waleson, Heidi // Billboard;5/27/95, Vol. 107 Issue 21, p38
Reports on the Deutsche Grammophon's release of Oliver Messiaen's final work `Concert a Quartre.'
- Bird Music. Messiaen, Olivier; Boivin, Jean // Grand Street;Winter96, Vol. 14 Issue 3, p134
Focuses on the method in which Olivier Messiaen presented his work. Comments by Jean Boivin; Translated from french by Arthur Goldhammer.
- Messiaen's 'Liebestod' and the uses of paraphrase. O'Connell, Kevin // Musical Times;Summer2009, Vol. 150 Issue 1907, p19
The musical notation for the song "Liebestod," by Olivier Messiaen is presented.
- Visions of amen. Hoekema, David A. // Christian Century;12/30/2008, Vol. 125 Issue 26, p24
A biography is presented for composer Olivier Messiaen. Born in 1908, Messiaen studied music at the Paris Conservatory in France as a child and was appointed organist at the Church of the Holy Trinity in Paris when he was 22. Messiaen's capture in Verdun during World War II is mentioned, noting...