EFOP: YEAR BY YEAR
- KEYS TO THE KINGDOM. Burkell, Chuck // Fire Chief;Jan2004, Vol. 48 Issue 1, p58
Examines National Fire Academy's Executive Fire Officer Program, a fire leadership program in the United States. Leadership development; Risk reduction; Incident preparedness; Fire response and mitigation. INSETS: GRADUATE TESTIMONIALS;UNTITLED;UNTITLED;FOR MORE INFO
- OUTCOMES OF A LEADERSHIP INTERVENTION FOR A METROPOLITAN FIRE DEPARTMENT. Beaton, Randall; Johnson, L. Clark; Infield, Susan; Ollis, Terry; Bond, Gail // Psychological Reports;Jun2001 Part 2, Vol. 88 Issue 3, p1049
Examines the efficacy of a leadership intervention for fire service supervisors in an urban fire department in the United States. Performance of immediate supervisors at postintervention of leadership; Improvement on stress-related symptoms indices of supervisors.
- EFOP APPLICATION PROCESS. // Fire Chief;Jan2004, Vol. 48 Issue 1, p66
Discusses the application process for the National Fire Academy's Executive Fire Officer Program in the United States. Application materials; Minimum associate's degree from a college or university; Essay questionnaire.
- RISKY BUSINESS. DiNolfo, Stephen H. // Fire Chief;Jul2009, Vol. 53 Issue 7, p34
The article focuses on how training officers of firefighters can reduce the risk of training-related liability in the U.S. By always asking for full effort during operations-based training, it notes that training officers can help ensure that personnel are prepared for effective emergency...
- Drills: From Blank Page to Successful Exercise. Carpenter, Bob; Posner, Michael // Fire Engineering;Apr2008, Vol. 161 Issue 4, p141
The article offers advise to the administrator of firefighter departments in the U.S. on how to address the task of coordinating a drill. It also identifies the reasons for single- and multicompany drills, and discusses relevant drill topics, steps for drill organization and development of a...
- Leadership Development and Decision-Making in the Fire Service: What Is It and How Do I Get Some? Mortenson, Royal P. // Speaking of Fire;Summer2014, Vol. 14 Issue 2, p6
The article discusses the leadership development working group created by the Illinois Fire Service Institute, a fire training and education (T&E) institution, in October 2012. The group is created to institutionalize leadership development and decision making for the fire service. It comprises...
- Complex Made Simple. RIECHER, ANTON // Industrial Fire World;Summer2013, Vol. 28 Issue 3, p15
The article offers a look at the modern training techniques developed by the Gulf Coast Emergency Response Academy (GCERA) near Mobile, Alabama. The Alabama fire school has 50 exterior and interior live-fire training props which are compressed into a single, four-story stress test found at the...
- CALIFORNIA MUDSLIDE YIELDS VALUABLE LESSONS. Welch, Tom // Fire Engineering;Feb2007, Vol. 160 Issue 2, p109
The article reports on learnings from emergency response to the April 2006 mudslide in Marin County, California. The account concerns one Mill Valley house where a victim was buried under mud. Recovery workers encountered a range of problems, including high gas levels, the need to divert water,...
- Hazardous Materials "Sand Traps". HELLARD, WILLIAM // Fire Engineering;Mar2013, Vol. 166 Issue 3, p123
The article considers safety measures for fighters related to hazardous materials. The need for fire fighters responding to a hazardous materials release to remain upwind and uphill of the hazardous materials is stressed. Means of communication between fire fighters wearing protective clothing...