Are Clean Sweeps a Help of a Hindrance?
- Work Horse or Show Horse? Gasaway, Richard B. // Minnesota Fire Chief;Nov/Dec2005, Vol. 42 Issue 2, p38
The article offers several recommendations to ensure the functionality of a fire chief. A fire chief must serve as an example to fire fighters. Being a loyal leader imitates the same behavior to subordinates. Ideal fire chiefs know how to be good leaders.
- Officer Development: Leaders Teach. VISCUSO, FRANK // Fire Engineering;Mar2014, Vol. 167 Issue 3, p117
The article defines 13 leadership traits and qualities that firefighters and the public look for in a fire service leader. These include loyalty, education, adaptability, determination, enthusiasm, resourcefulness, selflessness, toughness, empathy, assertiveness, courage, honor, and willingness...
- Darwin and the volunteer fire service. Coleman, Ronny // Fire Chief Expert Blog;9/15/2013, p1
The article presents information on volunteer fire chiefs in the U.S. It states that, though, volunteer fire chiefs are not paid for their services, but their duties are no less than the fire chiefs who receive compensation. However, volunteer fire chiefs have to spend limited time period in...
- Fundamental skills take new fire chiefs down the right path. Crawford, Brian A. // Fire Chief Expert Blog;12/13/2012, p1
The article offers administrative or management tips for newly appointed fire chiefs. It suggests that new fire chiefs should surround themselves with the brightest and most gifted people they know, conduct regular face-to-face dialogues with their firefighters, command staff and union...
- Tom's Trumpet. Brace, Tom // Minnesota Fire Chief;May/Jun2006, Vol. 42 Issue 5, p58
Discusses the qualities of a firefighter. Job responsibilities of a firefighter; Key elements of leadership; Information on the Minnesota State Fire Chiefs Association.
- Ohio Chiefs Association wins Excellence Award. // Fire Chief;Oct2003, Vol. 47 Issue 10, p20
Reports that the Ohio Fire Chiefs Association won the 2003 Fire Service Award for Excellence for its Ohio Fire Executive, a leadership development program. Background on the program designed to strengthen the skills of fire chiefs and high potential senior officers; Other finalists for the award.
- Let the Power Go to Your Head. Buckman, John // Fire Chief;May2004, Vol. 48 Issue 5, p26
Explores a fire chief's frustrations and responsibilities in the United States. Leadership role; Positive influence of the fire chief to others; Factors that affect fire chief's ability to be successful; Management of incompetent subordinates/firefighters.
- Fire Chief -- Ross Valley Fire Department (San Anselmo, Calif.). // Fire Chief Expert Blog;10/ 2/2013, p1
The article announces that the Ross Valley Fire Department Board of Directors is conducting a national search for a committed fire professional to serve as the next Fire Chief to supervise a staff of 32 firefighters and 15 volunteers with an operating budget of 8,347,188 U.S. dollars annually.
- How to get the right person for the right job. Sells, Peter // Fire Engineering;Jan1999, Vol. 152 Issue 1, p62
Gives advice on hiring qualified people in the fire department. Establishment of the job description, which applicants are expected to meet; Assessment of the candidates based on required competencies; Conduction of an information session; Interview panel assembly; Conduction of interviews;...