Safe Building Design Institute at EMI
- Pubs and clubs serving short measures on fire safety. // Fire Safety Engineering;Mar2008, Vol. 15 Issue 2, p7
The article reports on the substandard fire safety measures of some public buildings and clubs in Norwich, England. The "Norwich Evening News" claimed that the administrators of about one-third of 80 premises checked by the Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service do not have clear understanding on the...
- In case of emergency. Hemming, Roland // AV Magazine;Nov/Dec2011, p15
The article focuses on the use of audio visual (AV) systems in emergency management. It states that the AV systems like voice alarm have become a necessary part in new buildings, assisting public's evacuation. Meanwhile, it mentions that risk assessment is required with regards to the need for...
- What's Your Disaster Plan? Muhlebach, Richard // National Real Estate Investor;Aug2002, Vol. 44 Issue 8, p64
Discusses the factors that building owners and operators should consider when creating an emergency preparedness plan. Importance of a knowledge of local laws and building codes; Benefits of maintaining accurate blueprints; Purpose of an emergency operations center.
- Real World Response. Paoletti, Kirsten M.; Solomon, Robert E. // Buildings;Jan2003, Vol. 97 Issue 1, p36
Presents advice on emergency response planning for buildings in the U.S. People involved in the planning; Information on how to develop and implement emergency response plans; Importance of a written emergency response plan.
- Indiana Now Requiring Stage Structure Inspections, Emergency Plans. // FRONT of HOUSE;Jun2012, Vol. 10 Issue 9, p1
The article reports that the Indiana Fire Prevention and Building Safety Commission in Indiana has approved new regulations that require stage structure inspections and emergency plans.
- EDITORIAL: BUILT ENVIRONMENT PERSPECTIVES ON POST-DISASTER RECONSTRUCTION. von Meding, Jason; Mackee, Jamie; Gajendran, Thayaparan // ArchNet-IJAR;Nov2013 Special Issue, Vol. 7 Issue 3, p8
An introduction is presented in which the editor discusses various articles within the issue on topics including post-disaster reconstruction, the impacts disasters on people and places, and approaches for disaster risk reduction.
- Define. Plan. Train. 10 Considerations to Disaster Preparedness and Recovery. Madsen, Jana J.; Monroe, Linda K.; Raiford, Regina; Vangen, Clara M.W. // Buildings;Nov2001, Vol. 95 Issue 11, p28
Focuses on the considerations in building a strategy to protect valuable assets, while minimizing damage from inevitable disasters. Man-made emergencies that result in damage to a building and danger to its occupants or the public; Factors that affect the probability of emergencies; Details of...
- Planning for the Unthinkable. // OfficePro;Jun/Jul2002, Vol. 62 Issue 5, p6
Presents several suggestions for organizations in ensuring the safety of its workforce in emergency situations. Need to check for fire hazards; Pointers in the identification of escape routes; Tips on the establishment of a disaster team.
- BOMA Members Respond: Flood 2013. Robinson, Lia // Business in Calgary;Sep2013, Vol. 23 Issue 9, p1
The article provides information on the responsibility of Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA) Calgary Members to their employees, to their tenants and to the public who visit their buildings, training and organizing for one day when a disaster might come whether a flood or fire.