BOREAL BIRDS: Adirondack "islands" of boreal forests harbor northern life
- Distribution of Spruce Grouse (August "About Our Cover"). Glover, Beverly // American Biology Teacher (National Association of Biology Teache;Oct2009, Vol. 71 Issue 8, p457
A letter to the editor is presented in response to the article "About Our Cover" in the August 2009 issue.
- Response. // American Biology Teacher (National Association of Biology Teache;Oct2009, Vol. 71 Issue 8, p457
A response to a letter regarding the article "About Our Cover" from the August 2009 issue is presented.
- LETTERS. Beland, Kenneth F. // American Biology Teacher (National Association of Biology Teache;Jan2010, Vol. 72 Issue 1, p5
A letter to the editor is presented in response to the cover photograph of a female spruce grouse on the April 2009 issue.
- 6 Hours with a Spruce Grouse. Lynch, Wayne // Birder's World;Apr2002, Vol. 16 Issue 2, p52
Presents information on Spruce Grouse. Description of the bird; Information on spruce needles that are essential to the bird's diet; Adult deaths among the bird; Discussion of the bird's feeding routine during winter.
- No Small Deal. Schuh, Dwight // Bowhunter;Dec2008, Vol. 38 Issue 3, p72
A personal narrative is presented which explores the author's experience of hunting spruce grouse which he ate, and regarded eating the catch to represent the essence of the hunt.
- Feathered Friends of Winter. Nelson, Dave // New York State Conservationist;Feb2010, Vol. 64 Issue 4, p2
The article focuses on the winter birds which can be found throughout New York. The black-capped Chickadee, or Poecile atricapillus, are members of the titmouse family (Paridae) that are acrobatic, small, plump and aggressive chickadees. The Blue Jay, or Cyanocitta cristata, are members of the...
- A note from the editor. T.C.C. // Horticulture;Mar95, Vol. 73 Issue 3, p4
Discusses chickadees. Author's experience with chickadees; Fondness for seeds; Feeding habits; Bond between gardeners and birds.
- Total recall. Line, Les // National Wildlife (World Edition);Feb/Mar98, Vol. 36 Issue 2, p24
Focuses on research relating to chickadees by Susan Smith, chickadee researcher. Reference to the book `The Back-Capped Chickadee: Behavioral Ecology and Natural History,' by Smith; Comments from Smith; Indication that the birds adapt easily to captivity; Importance of caching food to the...
- Effects of commercial thinning on site occupancy and habitat use by spruce grouse in boreal Quebec. Lycke, Ambroise; Imbeau, Louis; Drapeau, Pierre // Canadian Journal of Forest Research;Mar2011, Vol. 41 Issue 3, p501
Partial cuts are increasingly proposed to maintain habitats for species negatively affected by clearcutting, even if their benefits on nonpasserine birds and large mammals are still poorly documented. Our main objective was to evaluate effects of commercial thinning (CT) on spruce grouse...