Japan's Bank Bailout: Just a Start
- Lessons from Japan's lost decade. Matsuda, Keitaro // ABA Banking Journal;Sep2000, Vol. 92 Issue 9, p128
Examines how Japanese banks were able to emerge from their economic problems. Risks of overcorrection in economy; Importance of early intervention during bank crisis; Reason for investing.
- Rising sun, falling star. Thredgold // Enterprise/Salt Lake City;09/27/99, Vol. 29 Issue 14, p21
Examines banking and economic developments in Japan as of September 1999. Factors for the decline in Japan's economy in the 1990s; Signs of economic recovery in the late 1990s; Recommended investment in the Japanese yen; Recovery strategies; Role of Japan's central bank in the movement of the yen.
- Moves in Tokyo might boost world economy. Flanigan, James // Indianapolis Business Journal;8/21/95, Vol. 16 Issue 21, p7B
Discusses the Japanese economy and its impact on the rest of the world. Japanese government's move to avert a bank run; 1980 bad loans as cause of Japan's economic troubles; Bank of Japan's policy on short-term interest rates; Investment in long-term government securities at higher rates; Flow...
- FROM THE EDITOR. Rutledge, Bruce // J@pan Inc.;Apr2002, Issue 30, p3
Discusses the economic condition of Japan. Situation of banking; Discussion on several articles on Japanese businesses.
- Shareholders and the Japanese BAND-AID. Sargent, Joseph // Global Finance;May99, Vol. 13 Issue 5, p27
Reports on the 15 largest banks in Japan applying for government assistance. Pros and cons of the arrangement; Preferred shares received by the government from the banks; Concern on government ownership of banks.
- Clueless in Tokyo. Platt, Gordon // Global Finance;Jan2002, Vol. 16 Issue 1, p56
Assesses the economy of Japan and its banking system as of 2001. Cause of depression in the country; Credit rating of Japan; Criticism of Japan's policymakers; Problems with the nation's banks.
- Reverse of fortune. Ernsberger, Richard // Bulletin with Newsweek;8/15/95, Vol. 116 Issue 5983, p50
Reports on the bank crisis and related economic developments in Japan. Deregulation of banking; Power of the Yen; Financial institutions; State of the banking and finance industry.
- Japan's bank crisis makes S&L fiasco look pretty tame. Davies, Stephen A. // American Banker;7/7/1995, Vol. 160 Issue 129, p18
Opinion. Comments on problems facing Japan's economy due to a banking crisis and credit crunch. Estimated amount of problem loans carried by Japanese banks; Japanese institutions as large direct investors in stocks; Possibility of an economic recession; Government's preparation for possible...
- Japan Goes All Out for Banking Sector Reform, but Market Is Wary. Iyer, Savita // Bank Loan Report;5/27/2002, Vol. 17 Issue 20, p1
Reports on the action taken by the Japanese government to reform its banking industry in 2002. Reason for the fall of the Japanese banking system; Remarks from Japanese Ministry of Finance deputy vice minister for international affairs Masahiro Kawai; Details on the Japanese economy.