EchoStar: Will It Make a Move?
- EchoStar complains to FCC about Big Ten. Dempsey, John // Daily Variety;7/24/2007, Vol. 296 Issue 16, p17
The article reports that EchoStar filed a complaint with the United States Federal Communications Commission claiming that the Big Ten Network is price gouging. According to EchoStar, its competitor DirecTV is part of News Corp. which owns 49 percent stake in the Big Ten Network. The Big Ten...
- News Corp. in position for another DirecTV bid. Mermigas, Diane // Electronic Media;10/7/2002, Vol. 21 Issue 40, p12
Reports on the development of the deals of News Corp. with DirecTV Inc. to support the growing and potent content resources of News Corp. in the U.S. Flexibility of the company to finance another business deals; Renewal of bid for DirecTV; Controversy on the proposed merger between DirecTV and...
- Dishing it out. Swann, Phillip // Electronic Media;2/3/2003, Vol. 22 Issue 5, p18
Focuses on the steps taken by the U.S.-based satellite television service provider EchoStar Inc. to strengthen its position in the industry. Reasons for rejection of merger between EchoStar and DirecTV Inc. by the U.S. Federal Communications Commission and the Justice Department; Circumstances...
- Ergen: DirecTV Rebuffed My Bid. Hogan, Monica // Multichannel News;11/20/2000, Vol. 21 Issue 47, p12
Reports on EchoStar Communications Corp. chairman Charlie Ergen's claim that DirecTV Inc. has rebuffed his attempts to discuss how EchoStar might make a bid for its direct-broadcast satellite rival's assets. DirecTV parent General Motors' consideration of the sale of Hughes Electronics Corp.,...
- Direct hit. Szalai, Georg; Sperling, Nicole // Hollywood Reporter -- International Edition;4/15/2003, Vol. 378 Issue 12, p15
This article analyzes the takeover deal announced for DirecTV Inc., the largest U.S. satcaster by Rupert Murdoch's News Corp., in the year 2003 Wall Street was debating where the deal would leave competitor EchoStar Communications Corp.While industry watchers said DirecTV will win unprecedented...
- Who do you think would be the best owner for DirecTV? Broad, Julie // Electronic Media;6/25/2001-7/2/2001, Vol. 20 Issue 26/27, p9
Focuses on executives' views about ownership change for DirecTV. Identification of the best owner for the direct broadcast satellite television firm; Strengths of contenders, News Corp. and EchoStar Communications Corp.
- Crafty Rupe caging birds. Guider, Elizabeth // Variety;2/10/2003, Vol. 389 Issue 12, p7
Reports on the plan of News Corp. to acquire U.S. satellite companies, DirectTV and EchoStar. Significance of the acquisition to Rupert Murdoch's global businesses; Implication of the potential deal, according to ABN-Amro company media analyst Peter Shorthouse.
- EchoStar: We Could Borrow Cash. Hogan, Monica // Multichannel News;6/4/2001, Vol. 22 Issue 23, p5
Reports the negotiations for the ownership of DirectTV Inc. in the United States. Interest of EchoStar Communications Corp. in acquiring the company in partnership with other companies; Comments of observers on the possibility of News Corp. to win the ownership rights; Effects of the possible...
- News Corp. still in the game. // Hollywood Reporter -- International Edition;10/15/2002, Vol. 375 Issue 32, p53
Reports that News Corp. is planning for a merger with DirecTV Inc., if EchoStar Communications Corp. does not get the U.S. government's approval for the acquisition of DirecTV. Comments of chief executive officer of DirecTV on the issue.