The Effect of Retirement Under Social Security at Age 62
- Liquidity, Mortality, and Early Social Security Claiming. Gorman, Linda // NBER Digest;Nov2015, p1
The article looks at the Americans' withdrawal of Social Security retirement benefits before the retirement age with reduced benefits.
- SOCIAL SECURITY'S FULL-BENEFITS AGE ON THE RISE. // USA Today Magazine;Jan2005, Vol. 133 Issue 2716, p9
Focuses on the increase in full-benefit age of retirees under the U.S. Social Security. Implication of the lack of knowledge on retirement age for retirement plans; Risks associated with early retirement.
- INCENTIVIZING DELAYED CLAIMING OF SOCIAL SECURITY RETIREMENT BENEFITS BEFORE REACHING THE FULL RETIREMENT AGE. Knoll, Melissa A. Z.; Olsen, Anya // Social Security Bulletin;2014, Vol. 74 Issue 4, p21
Claiming Social Security retirement benefits before the full retirement age (FRA) results in permanently lower benefits. Therefore, delaying claiming is often considered the best decision economically. We examine a number of novel changes aimed at encouraging individuals to delay claiming in the...
- Avoid These Costly Social Security Mistakes: Retirement Scan. // Financial-planning.com;7/27/2015, p7
The article provides an advice to clients not to file for Social Security retirement benefits at the wrong retirement age to avoid losing substantial benefits in the U.S.
- `Equivalent retirement ages' and their implications for... Chen, Yung-Ping // Gerontologist;Dec94, Vol. 34 Issue 6, p731
Focuses on the concept of equivalent retirement ages as a means for determining an appropriate normal retirement age. Ways to reset the normal retirement age; Precedent and proposals for raising normal retirement age; Policy on raising eligibility age for Medicare; Implications for Social...
- Three-Legged Stool of Retirement. // Bank Investment Consultant;Mar2014, Vol. 22 Issue 2, p32
The article presents charts related to social security, impact of collection age on benefit amount of retiree, and presents statistics related to full retirement age based on a report "Understanding Social Security Retirement Benefits" published by investment management firm BlackRock Inc.
- Optimizing social security benefit initiation and postponement decisions: a sequential approach. Friedman, Joseph; Phillips, Herbert E. // Financial Services Review;Summer2008, Vol. 17 Issue 2, p155
The paper supposes, consistent with law, that single or married Social Security beneficiaries view an initiation or postponement decision in terms of a sequential decision process rather than in terms of a single evaluation made at or before the normal retirement age. The question asked at each...
- Time is running out for 'file and suspend'. POLITI, JOHN // Westchester County Business Journal;10/12/2015, Vol. 51 Issue 41, p20
The article offers information on the use of file and suspend strategy in delaying the amount of the Social Security benefits received by retiring person to have higher benefit level. Topics discussed include the retirement age for receiving the Social Security benefits, the importance of...
- Social Security, Unanticipated Benefit Increases and the Timing of Retirement. Burtless, Gary // Review of Economic Studies;Oct86, Vol. 53 Issue 5, p781
Between 1969 and 1972, real U.S. social security retirement benefits rose by 20%. The rise was unanticipated and followed over 15 years of relatively constant real benefits. This paper proposes a model of retirement behaviour in which workers respond differently, although in a theoretically...