An Alternative Look at Hedge Funds
- Hedge funds still risky business. Keavney, Robert // Money Management;7/22/2004, Vol. 18 Issue 26, p16
Discusses investments in hedge funds in Australia. Consistency of ability to produce good returns; Possibility of high return with low risk investment; Negative effect of fees, tax, transparency and gearing on hedge funds.
- BIGGER ISN'T ALWAYS BETTER. Smith, Matthew // BRW;12/6/2012, Vol. 34 Issue 47, p52
The article reports on the issues to put in mind when considering hedge funds in Australia. A study by research firm PerTrac finds that young funds outperformed the average tenured funds for 14 out of the 16 years since 1996. It was noted that hedge funds have been having problems replicating...
- Does survivorship bias cut both ways? Collins, Daniel P.; McMahon, Chris // Futures: News, Analysis & Strategies for Futures, Options & Deri;Apr2006, Vol. 35 Issue 5, p18
The article discusses the findings of Roger Ibbotson and Peng Chen's research about the sources of hedge fund returns in the U.S. Ibbotson and Chen estimates that survivorship bias skewed hedge fund returns in the 10-year study higher by 2.74%.The study claimed that backfill bias accounted for...
- HEDGING YOUR ENDOWMENT BETS. Logue, Ann C. // University Business;Nov2005, Vol. 8 Issue 11, p46
Discusses the factors that should be considered in investing school endowments in hedge funds. General rule of investment returns; Difference of a hedge fund from traditional investments; Guidelines for endowment managers on investing in hedge funds.
- Singles champions. Maier, Tom // Money Marketing;7/8/2004, p47
The article discusses single-stranded hedge funds. Assessment of the return approach to investment of hedge fund managers; Generation of investment return; Analysis of the investment process.
- WHERE'S THE RISK? De Silva, Harindra // Canadian Investment Review;Winter2003, Vol. 16 Issue 4, pR9
Deals with the importance for pension plans to understand the risks and rewards of adding hedge fund allocations. Factors contributing to the decision of plan sponsors to use hedge funds; Analysis of returns from hedge funds; Advantage of hedge funds over institutional investments.
- Investors keener on structuring alternatives. Ferguson, Nick // FinanceAsia;Oct2008, p66
The article focuses on the use of the structured products in the hedge funds of institutional investors in Asia. Most of the investors are seeking the products because these will help them in purchasing hedge-fund returns with principal-protected wrappers. They are also using these products to...
- Lock-up Periods May Grow Longer For Hedge Funds. J.F. // Bank Loan Report;11/22/2004, Vol. 19 Issue 45, p1
Reports on the extension of lock-up periods for hedge funds in the U.S. Effects of traditional transactions on the return of investments; Similarity of hedge funds to private equity firms; Changes in debt and equity investing.
- Behind the hedge fund numbers. van der Walt, Mark // Finance Week;Winter2004 Supplement, p14
The article focuses on the extent of hedge fund risk. Unlike unit trust funds, hedge funds report voluntarily to one or more industry databases that compile indices from those funds that choose to be included. As a result, hedge fund indices represent only a general proxy for the industry rather...