UK Shareholders' Lost Access to Management Information
- Proposed amendment to draft Fifth Company. Dishington, Jo // Accountancy;May91, Vol. 107 Issue 1173, p58
Reports on the proposed amendments to the European Commission's fifth company law directive. Limits to preferential shares issued in return for restricted voting rights; Number of votes allowed to a single shareholder; Nomination of board members.
- THE SHAREHOLDER AS SECOND-CLASS CITIZEN. Keenan, Denis // Accountancy;Apr91, Vol. 107 Issue 1172, p87
The article discusses enhancement of minority shareholder' rights in Great Britain. A company's articles are usually drafted so as to give the directors full management powers, reserving to the members only those functions which company legislation or the articles require them to perform....
- Some important sections of the Companies Acts -- Part 2. Keenan, Denis // Accountancy;Oct81, Vol. 92 Issue 1058, p113
Part II. Discusses important provisions of Great Britain's Companies Act of 1980 for those reviewing for accounting licensure examinations. Classification of companies; Right of preemption in equity shareholders; Loans to directors and connected persons.
- Days may be numbered for Volkswagen Law. // Automotive Manufacturing Solutions;Mar/Apr2007, p10
The article deals with the implementation of a German legislation which protects Volkswagen from foreign takeover. Under the legislation, shareholders in the company are not allowed to exercise more than 20 percent of the firm's voting rights, regardless of their level of stock holding....
- Open season for board minutes. Hinck, Elizabeth // Directors & Boards;2006 Second Quarter, Vol. 30 Issue 3, p47
The article discusses on the demand of Carl Icahn, shareholder of Time Warner Inc., to see the company's board minutes that discussed possible separation of the company's business units in Delaware. It emphasizes that Delaware corporation law allows shareholder to inspect and copy corporate...
- Factors Affecting the Value of the Stock Voting Right: Evidence from the Swiss Equity Market. Kunz, Roger M.; Angel, James J. // FM: The Journal of the Financial Management Association;Autumn96, Vol. 25 Issue 3, p7
Reports that Switzerland offers a natural setting for investigating factors affecting the value of the stock voting rights. Previous work on the value of corporate voting rights; Equity capital structure of Swiss companies; Data used in the study; Measurement of the premium in value of the...
- Business should act for all its stakeholders--before `the feds' do. Mahoney, Richard J. // NACD Directorship;Feb97, Vol. 23 Issue 2, p4
Focuses on the need for corporations to take heed of employee and other stakeholders' rights. Need to modify corporate behavior; Anger caused by executive stock-option gains; Broadening stock option participation.
- Double your pleasure. // Newsweek;5/9/1994, Vol. 123 Issue 19, p51
Describes the small bonuses for shareholders provided by many companies. Purchase of 100 shares of CML Group returns a ten percent discount on their NordicTrack exercise machines and Smith & Hawken garden equipment. What Wrigley gum offers.
- Arrow's Theorem and the Exclusive Shareholder Franchise. Hayden, Grant; Bodie, Matthew // Vanderbilt Law Review;May2009, Vol. 62 Issue 4, p1215
In this Essay, we contest one of the main arguments for restricting corporate board voting to shareholders. In justifying the limitation of the franchise to shareholders, scholars have repeatedly turned to social choice theory-specifically, Arrow's theorem-to justify the exclusive shareholder...